Parallels 4.0 won't quit

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by epirali, Nov 19, 2008.

1. epirali

epirali Member

Has anyone else run into this. Running Parallels 4.0 with BootCamp partition when I shutdown the virtual machine and quit Parallels won't quit. Even after using terminal commands to kill all the various tasks it was just "stuck" and wouldn't even allow a normal shutdown.

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Can you make a screenshot of this? Thank you in advance

3. epirali

epirali Member

There really is no screen shot, except the Dock Parallel icon still has a triangle (should have mentioned this is under 10.4.11) and the Activity Monitor, ps under terminal and force quit all show the Parallels app. ps -ax | grep Par obviously shows other tasks. What was interesting is that the main Parallels application was not listed.

4. Hatuxka

Hatuxka Bit poster

Same problem

The install process seemed to have aborted, got a message saying so, but V4 was installed. Two problems: won't quit and "start" button is very slow to become active.

5. STim

STim Bit poster

Will Parallels Desktop quit if you right-click its Dock icon and select "Quit"? If so, this is the expected behavior, many Mac applications behave this way, say Terminal, Finder, Safari.

As for other processes related to Parallels that you might see in Activity Monitor:
    - Parallels Desktop. This is main GUI application
    - prl_vm_app - this process is responsible for running the Virtual Machine. If you stop the Virtual Machine, the process disappears.
    - prl_disp_service - this is main Parallels Desktop service, responsible for handling all commands coming from GUI and whatever else
    - prl_naptd - this process is responsible for handling Parallels Desktop shared networking.

The last two processes will be running even if Parallels Desktop is quit completely.

Attached Files:

6. epirali

epirali Member

I am a professional programmer fwiw. I am saying that Parallels 4.0 hangs on quit, and will not force quit when dock icon is right clicked and held, and force quit is selected. If you look above you will see I tried the various gui and non gui OS level methods of killing the app, and none worked.

7. STim

STim Bit poster

Got it.

Please take the "Parallels Desktop" process sample via Activity Monitor and attach here. Also, have prl_vm_app quit already by the time the Parallels Desktop hangs, or it's still running? If so, it's sample is also appreciated.

8. perwallner

perwallner Member

Thanks epirali for getting attention to this!
    It's exactly the problem I addressed some days ago in http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31606 with no response whatsoever.
    Actually, quitting by right-clicking the dock icon solved it for me ;)
    I wish you luck!

Best / Per

9. epirali

epirali Member

Parallel Desktop is gone, but these remain:

[MacPro-Quad-EP:~] edmund% ps -ax | grep Par
    32 ?? Ss 0:00.02 /bin/sh /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Resources/ParallelsDispatcherService start
    192 ?? Ss 0:12.42 /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_naptd
    239 ?? S 1:55.41 /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disp_service -e --logfile /var/log/prl_disp_service_server.log --pidfile /var/run/prl_disp_service
    7111 p1 R+ 0:00.00 grep Par

Neither can be sampled.

10. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

As STim wrote these two processes will be up even if Parallels Desktop and all VMs are down. What's with prl_vm_app in Activity Monitor? Please attach a screenshot

11. epirali

epirali Member

I have updated to the latest build and the problem is gone. If it happens again I will post, but again those were the only two processes left, but MacOS thought Parallels Desktop was still running.

12. bwehr

bwehr Bit poster

I have upgraded to the latest build, and I still have the problem. Since upgrading to 4.0 (both builds 3540 and 3810), I too have had to force quit Parallels after shutting down my VM. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

I'm sure I'm just missing something. Is there to be no official response to this issue?

Thanks.