Graphic apps lag due to GPU?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kaidomac, Jun 17, 2006.

1. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

I just loaded up Paint Shop Pro 7 (a graphics app, like a lightweight Photoshop) on XP under Parallels and I'm getting a bit of lag when painting. I have a tablet and I use Photoshop, Painter, and Paint Shop Pro with it regularly. Paint Shop Pro is only available for Windows and I would really miss using it. I notice that when I paint fast, I get some serious lag behind my strokes. Is this due to (1) the weak integrated GPU being shared between OS X and XP or (2) just the fact that Parallels is a virtual machine and will never run that fast? I'm perfectly willing to upgrade to an Apple tower in the future if having a better, dedicated graphics card will mean improved graphics performance, but I need to know if it's a Parallels limitation or a graphics card limitation.

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Parallels doesn't use the GPU, it's all emulated. I think you confidently say this is due to emulation. I'm assuming you're usinga mini or macbook, because the MPG has a great GPU.

3. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to post that I had an Intel Mini. So the GPU is emulated on the MBP as well? I was hoping that maybe having a better video card would improve graphics performance...

4. mahortom

mahortom Bit poster

Benchmark do not give all needed answers but here are some numbers from Fresh Diagnose (in order, respectively: type: Parallels - Native/BootCamp):

Processor
    Drystones: 7137 - 6092
    Whetstones: 5144 - 5397

Graphics
    Random Pixels: 1,000 - 466
    Lines: 251,333 - 147,333
    Circles: 37,484 - 15,439
    Rectangles: 78,302 - 43,653
    Texts: 600,233 - 959,705
    Flood Fills: 1,581,250 - 2,103,140
    Draw: 30,446 - 38,536

Some results give Parallels better. Strange indeed. But all benchmarks are strange.

MacBook - 2Gbyte RAM - Intel GMA 950