PC user switching to mac - several questions.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BobInIndy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. BobInIndy

BobInIndy Member

I am evaluating Paralell 3 and VM Fusion.

I had a tremendous number of problems with installing Paralells - crashes, not responding, etc. At first I though I would just move on to try v4, but the posts I read on that were pretty discouraging.

I am a power PC users switching to a macbook pro, so I am initially loading a log of windows xp software in the VM.

Here are my problems:
    In Windows XP Pro VM: An Iomega (PL-2506) USB 250 Gig will not connect to Windows. The profile is set up for USB Enable, ask which OS to connect it to. In the guest OS, the Devices Menu, USB, shows a check by PL-2506 USB Storage, but is not visible with windows explorer. It does work fine in Mac OS.

In Windows XP Pro VM: An Iomega 1TB Store Center network drive is not accessible from Windows. The Windows Iomega Discovery Tool does not find it, and Start, My Computer, Map Network drive does not see it to map to. It does work fine in Mac OS and shows as Iomega-022e52. In Bonjour for windows, it shows up briefly and then disappears in left column.

The delete key on the mac keyboard does not delete. For example, if you are in outlook 07 and have an email highlighted and press delete, it does not delete it (it appears to backspace). Same is true if you highlight a short cut on the desktop and press the deleted button. I realize backspace deleted is what it is in mac, but how do you make it delete in win VM

Not sure how to change resolution of screen. The mac is a high definition screen, so everying in windows (like menu options) looks very small. On a PC, you would just right click on the desktop change resolution.

Finally, with outlook 07 looking at email, if you click the X to delete an email, it is so slow that you think you have not deleted it, so you click X again, and then you have deleted move that one email. Is this type of slowness just the way it is?

Thanks for all yoru help
    bob

2. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Hi, BobInIndy.

Please, generate "Problem Report" in your Parallels Desktop. Do it right after you have found some problem in our product. Send this report to our support system (just press send button after problem report was generated).
    At the end - post problem report number her (you will get this number after sending problem report).

3. BobInIndy

BobInIndy Member

I have upgraded to 4.0 today, see if it correct anything.
    bob

4. HZC

HZC Member

If you are using a laptop, fn-delete will do the "Windows" delete. On a desktop, there are two delete buttons one that has an icon pointing to the left, the other to the right. Use the latter to do a "Windows" delete.

5. BobInIndy

BobInIndy Member

In a VM, I would expect the delete key to work as a windows delete key. I am using a windows exteranl keyboard for the VM, not a mac keyboard. I suppose I could learn to press fn delete to get a windows delete functionality, but why? I just want to use windows, not have to make mental converstions every time I want to do something as simply as press the delete key.
    bob