Can't launch Control Panels via Parallels/Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jimcoyle, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Within my Vista VM in Parallels, I can't seem to get Control Panels launched. Instead, Windows Explorer appears in the application bar at the bottom, and the Control Panels window appears, but doesn't populate with the icons of the control panels themselves; instead I get a miniature of the desktop background until finally the whole thing quits.

This problem does NOT happen when I'm booted from Boot Camp alone.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

2. minez

minez Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem! Replies are really welcome!

3. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Still having the problem today. Sure could use some input. I suspect is has something to do with the Parallels video driver, but am not sure.

4. Robert Davies

Robert Davies Bit poster

Something is stopping the 'Software Licensing Service' from starting, which is generating the issue we're seeing - the inability to use the control panels etc.

It is not possible to manually restart the service either....

-Rob

5. uotony

uotony Member

Hello Parallels,

Add me to this list, too!

Windows Server 2008, in Parallels 4.0.3522

Windows Control Panel shows a frame, then disappears without showing anything. This setup worked just fine in Parallels 3.0.

Thanks in advance!

6. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Possible solution? What do you think?

In another post in this forum someone mentioned that the no-control-panels problem is linked to some kind of Software Licensing module not kicking in.

By going into Windows Explorer I was able to get at the control panels and noticed that in the VM, Windows is not activated. I'm wondering if I were to get it activated if the software licensing modules might kick in and therefore give me access to the control panels without having to go through Windows Explorer.

I'm not really familiar enough with Vista to try this without some concurrence. I'd welcome any opinions on this.

Thanks.

7. pegebo

pegebo Bit poster

Same problem...

Experiencing the same thing (Parallels 4.0.3522/Windows Vista Ultimate). Control Panel is not reachable from within Parallels, thus cannot change screen resolution etc. Applications seem to run as they should though.

Everything works when running from Boot Camp. Vista is not activated but everything worked like a charm in Parallels 3 so I don't understand how this effects things as hinted above. Really annoying issue and an answer would be appreciated.

/Pegebo

8. rblommers

rblommers Bit poster

Software Licening Service does not start

I've got the same problem...
    - native bootcamp works just fine
    - running via parallels the control panel does not work. Seems to be caused by the not-running licening manager.

Problem is the Software Licensing Manager (SLsvc.exe) isn't started via services. And will not start
    via services. It gives the following errorcode: 0xc004d103

I've got this problem since the update from Parallels 3 to parallels 4.
    Parallels 3 worked perfectly.
    After the update to Parallels 4 I've got these problems...

I really need a solution for this problem. I'm scared to run sfc /scannow because parallels does all kind of magic!
    I don't know what to do.... Please help!

Another thread about the same problem: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=132100#post132100

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  9. uotony

uotony Member

I'll toss in some more information here:

Event Viewer shows that "Key Management Service (KMS) failed to start" and then "Software Licensing service failed to start" with the same error code: hr=0xC004D103, [2, 6]

When I try to start "Software Licensing Service" using net start slsvc, I get this:

System error 53507 has occurred.

Please help us, Parallels!

10. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Yes, will someone from Parallels please respond to this! No reply in the forums at all yet!

11. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,

We are trying to reproduce this problem in our lab. I will keep you updated on the progress and be sure we will provide you with a fix as soon as we can. I apologize for inconvenience.

12. jedavis1

jedavis1 Junior Member

I was having the same problem. MacBook with 10.5.5 all updated. Vista Ultimate 32bit. Installed via Boot Camp with SP1, and updated to boot camp 2.2 (or whatever is latest). Had PD 3 installed and updated to 4.0. Had the licensing service not be able to start which caused the control panel and other issues. I unistalled 4.0 and reinstalled 3.0 and all is good. This is where I am staying until this issue is fixed.

13. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Just a guess here...I'm using Avira Anti-Virus on Boot Camp. Might Parallels be incompatible with it, and consequently the Software Licensing Service won't start?

14. jedavis1

jedavis1 Junior Member

I doubt that it has anything to do with any kind of AV software, I never got that far with my windows (Vista) installation and I still have the same issue as everyone here.

15. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is incorporated in Parallels Desktop 4 hotfix update:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764

It will work nicely for all new Vista Boot Camp users, but it will not repair already affected Vista Boot Camp partitions. We are trying to implement special recovery procedure/tool for such users. If your Vista Boot Camp partition is affected I recommend you following course of action:

* Repair Vista installation using Vista setup disk and then use Parallels Desktop 4 Build 3540
    * Wait for Parallels coming with recovery procedure/tool

I am greatly apologize for this bug in our final release, we will do our best to fix all the consequences.

16. uotony

uotony Member

Hi Andrew,

Build 3540 does not fix the issue for Windows Server 2008: I still cannot access the Control Panel, and the "Software Licensing" service fails to start.

Sorry!

17. rblommers

rblommers Bit poster

Problems solved by corruption (i guess)

I don't know what happend. But the problem is solved...
    Let me explain what happend... (very strange)

I've installed the latest parallels update. Performed repairs etc...
    Nothing worked...

- Today my NTFS partition was unclean... corrupted file or something... ( I guess something to do with both write acces to my NTFS disk from Mac OS and parallels)
    - CHKDSK via windows boot didn't work (m$ issue) so I performed a repair via install CD
    - I choose the startup repair from the vista CD
    - Vista repaired my harddisk. (via chkdsk I guess)
    - This morning I booted native bootcamp.. Tried an MS update check... It failed !?!??!
    - I tried to boot parallels ... Total vista didn't work anymore... It said something about Messing with Activation security stuff.. And performed an automatic logout!!!
    - I couldn't work with parallels anymore... Ai... Problem was worse!!
    - I remembered the failed update and tried the windows update again (in native bootcamp)
    - The update check succeeded... (It said no updates)
    - Rebooted back to Mac OS, started parallels...
    - Windows asked for license key... Entered it...
    - Windows asked for activation... (It activated again)
    - and now the problem is solved?!?!

I hope It will keep working now....

18. jedavis1

jedavis1 Junior Member

Sounds similar to what I ended up doing... except I had to reformat/reinstall/reactivate/reapply SP1/reapply everyother patch...

Glad I made the switch to PD4! It only took away about 4 days of my life.

19. uotony

uotony Member

Build 3540 did not help (win 2k8, Boot Camp partition)

Hello Parallels,

More of a reminder then anything else!

Using Windows 2008 Server (Win2K8) in a Boot Camp partition, using Parallels 4.0.3540 (November 21, 2008). Followed the instructions to "rebuild" the system under Boot Camp had no effect.

Symptoms:
    Trying to access "Control Panel" has the window display briefly (no contents) then disappear. Cannot "activate" Windows in Parallels.

Notables:
    In Parallels, the "Software Licensing" service fails to start. Trying to start that service manually results in "Error 0xc004d103" from Windows. "Software Licensing" starts fine in Boot Camp.

Notables:
    I was able to activate this VM in Parallels 3.

Other than these problems, Win2K8 works fine under Parallels. Most everything else is an improvement over Parallels 3.

Please feel free to contact me if you need to remote into my session.

Thanks in advance!

20. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Guys,

we understand the source of this issue,

People that upgrade their images using build 4.0.3540+
    are not affected by the issue.

Currently we're working on the hotfix that will
    resolve the issue for those who updated their
    image using previous builds.

Please, wait for the hotfix utility - it should
    be available shortly.