Failed to configure the boot camp partitions hard disk

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by peterock, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Kai85

Kai85 Bit poster

Waiting for a solve of the problem [Parallels #623340]

Hey guys,

same thing, same mistake:

Get the below linked message when creating VM out of BC bc. there's no automatically VM created after install of PD 4.0.3540.208607.

In the older Version 3522.206020 (or similarly..) installation process went well till the point of installing PD Tools in Win XP (SP3).

Wrote to Parallels Support again and wait for a hopefully solving answer on this problem...

I'm very peeved after loosing one and a half day of time trying to solve the problem... =/

I also think this is BETA TESTING!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Did you delete your previous Virtual machine for Boot Camp?

3. Kai85

Kai85 Bit poster

Yes, I did. Through the Parallels Deinstallation process and additionally manual by searching all parallels allocated files via Spotlight.

4. que

que Junior Member

up

i can't use parallels in my macbook

when i try it with boot camp or alone it gave me false error

is it wasting money for me in parallels ?

can i at least sell this program to someone else or not !

please answer me

5. STim

STim Bit poster

1. Can anyone from the thread please re-attempt to Boot Camp VM configuration and send us the Help->Report a problem and provide the ID? The log that comes with the report may contain some necessary info.

2. Was the Boot Camp partition created via standard Boot Comp assistant utility? What was the version of Boot Camp assistant when the partition was created?

3. Can the Boot Camp partition be unmounted using standard Mac OS procedure (right-click the partition's disk on Desktop and select "Eject")?

4. If it can, will you please re-attempt the partition configuration for the VM - will the "Failed to configure" issue repeat?

Thank you in advance.

6. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

I sent a report for the same problem with the previous release that apparently didn't do any good, but per your request I'm sending another one.

"Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with id 15842."

My Boot Camp partition ejects normally, but both before and after the 3540 update, regardless of whether I have ejected the Boot Camp partition, Parallels just makes repeated attempts to unmount and remount the partition and then says "Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk. A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk."

My partition was created with the standard Boot Camp utility. I don't know which version. It doesn't matter if I use an old virtual machine, a new virtual machine, an imported VMWare virtual machine (which works fine in VMWare), or if I try to reconfigure an existing virtual machine, or stand on my head and type with my toes - the same message ALWAYS shows up when trying to add a Boot Camp partition to a PD 4 virtual machine.

Since Mac OS X doesn't have the ability to write to Windows drives with its built-in drivers, an error telling me I need to give Mac OS X write permission for a Windows drive doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  7. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,
    would you please, check the following:

1. Try to create new virtual machine and check what Hard disk name is set on the stage "Boot Camp disk", see the pictures:

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23112.htm

2. Open Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> System profiler and see the Serial ATA devices. The disk name of your Boot Camp partition should be exactly the same (ST96812AS in this example).

3. Validate BC partition system name:
    Launch Terminal (Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal) and type

df -h

You will see the real Boot Camp drive mount point:

df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2 45Gi 37Gi 7.2Gi 84% /
    map -hosts 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /net
    map auto_home 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /home
    /dev/disk0s3 11Gi 600Ki 11Gi 1% /Volumes/BOOTCAMP

In my case it is /dev/disk0s3

4. If the partition names or locations differ and you are unable to select the correct one you can try to edit them directly in virtual machine's configuration file (by default it is in /Users/<user>/Documents/Parallels/<VM Name>.pvm/config.pvs)
    Most probably the changes are required for the <hdd> section, <SystemName>.
    Please, save a backup copy of the config.pvs before editing it.

Save changes, close the virtual machine's folder and try to start it again.

8. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

1. It says "FUJITSU MHY2250BH"
    2. Yep, "FUJITSU MHY2250BH" there too.
    3. df -h
    /dev/disk0s2 201Gi 122Gi 79Gi 61% /
    devfs 110Ki 110Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
    fdesc 1.0Ki 1.0Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
    map -hosts 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /net
    map auto_home 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /home
    /dev/disk3s3 298Gi 144Gi 154Gi 49% /Volumes/Maxtor
    /dev/disk2s1 739Gi 490Gi 249Gi 67% /Volumes/Lacie
    /dev/disk2s2 193Gi 115Gi 77Gi 60% /Volumes/EyeTV
    /dev/disk0s3 32Gi 12Gi 20Gi 37% /Volumes/Vista

(Note: My Bootcamp volume is called "Vista" even though it actually has Windows XP. I had originally intended to use Vista before I realized how bad it was.)

4. The config.pvs file in question does not have an hdd section, probably because it doesn't have a hard disk, because I cannot add one (I always get the error message mentioned).

9. Kai85

Kai85 Bit poster

Problem solved by re-install of PD 3, then PD 4

I read a hint in another forum (the German <a*href="http://www.apfeltalk.de/forum/parallels-4-0-a-t183957-12.html#post1838470">"apfeltalk.de"</a>):

went back to Parallels Desktop Version 3 5608 and after that to PD 4.0.3540.208607

worked

no problems with the detection of Bootcamp nor problems with installing of the Tools.

Don't ask me what made the difference or where the problems might have had its origin ;-)

good luck for all who cannot fix their specific problem like this.

--------
    update:
    new problem appeared.

the one "Unable to connect Hard Disk 1." (PD 4.0.3540.208607)

Re-opened my ticket ID #623340

(to be continued...)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  10. ricardovj

ricardovj Bit poster

Hard disk problem solution

I did as user joemz suggested in post #12 and this is what worked for me:

- Open the VM Configuration
    - Remove the Hard Drive, CD and Floppy drives
    - Start the VM (of course it won't boot)
    - Go back and add the boot camp hard drive
    - Voilá! My VM was back again :)

Thanks!!!

Hope that helps other users.

Ricardo.

11. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello everyone,

Please, those who still have problems with upgrade kindly submit a help request here:

https://www.parallels.com/account/flag,0/?request_url=/en/support/desktop/request/

After that, please, post here the numbers of your tickets (you will be notified by the e-mail about their creation and numbers). I will collect them and make sure they are answered.

If someone has submitted a ticket already, please, give the number as well.

Thank you.

12. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

Support ticket 625773

Problem report tickets 11340 and 15842

P.S. What was the point of answering all the questions in your previous post if you're just referring people to somewhere else?

13. Maven

Maven Junior Member

Look at this screenshot. It does not match the one that is posted on your site. I do not have an option to select the exact drive partition.

Yes, I just installed the update.

Attached Files:

14. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

Right, mine has that difference too, but if you read carefully, the section we are "missing" is not what he is asking about.

15. Cynops

Cynops Junior Member

Here is the deal. Look at your picture. Look at the one that says Boot Camp Disk. See that blue box which has partition 1 in it?

I DO NOT SEE THAT BOX

The window is BLANK below "Position IDE".

Now if I continue with this it will create a virtual machine and if I try to start that machine the boot camp partition will disappear off of the desktop (a 15GB NTFS partition running XP service pack 3) and the program will try to CONVERT the vm. This fails at step one and it then tries to start the machine which yields the stop screen. At this point the CPUs max out and you have to reset the computer to kill the now runaway parallels program. Thankfully none of this actually has damaged my Boot Camp installation.

This boot camp partition worked just fine with Parallels 3.

And the NTFS partition is happy too:

/dev/disk0s3 16Gi 12Gi 4.1Gi 75% /Volumes/WindowsXP

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  16. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Cynops,
    could you please greate a ticket if you have not done it yet. To do it please follow the link provided by DaTa: https://www.parallels.com/account/fl...sktop/request/

Please insert the link to this page into the ticket message not to explain the issue twice. And post the ticket number here as well. Thanks.

17. Cynops

Cynops Junior Member

That link is broken. The "..." shouldn't be there.
    The ticket number is 627013

18. lgross71

lgross71 Bit poster

Am I mistaken or should Parallel automatically detect my Fat 32 partition that runs Windows XP? I thought it would detect it and link to it unless I missed a step. I am looking thru the book now. Parallels wants to open a virtual machine and asks me to install a new windows version on it. Is this right? Do I need to install Parallels on the PC side for it to detect the current drive? I would appreciate any help.

19. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

Do you mean you have a Boot Camp partition on your Mac? If that's the case, all you need is create a custom VM and tell it to use your Boot Camp partition as the hard drive. Presto, no need to reinstall Windows or anything else. Refer to your user guide for additional information.

20. lgross71

lgross71 Bit poster

Boot Camp

I appreciate your reply. I was in the process of reading the manual as well as checking out the threads on the forum and I saw where someone mentioned bootcamp. So I went to the appendix and found the section on how to create a bootcamp partition, almost at the end of the book. I would have thought that little section should have been in the front somewhere. So I followed the instructions and it is up and running. Seems to work well. I did notice one of my programs in the virtual windows does not see the notes files. I need to figure out why that is and i hope I will be set.
    If you have any ideas about that I would appreciate it. Who knows what I have missed and don't realize it. Thanks