HELP: started a Snapshot and 4 hrs later it is still running

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Bob James, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

I started a Snapshot and 4 hrs later it is still running. I can't shut Parallels down: I can't do anything. I force-quited it, but when I start Parallels again it is still in the Snapshot mode.
    How can I get my VM back? :-(

This was my first Snapshot.

I'm on a MacPro with 16GB memory. The guest OS is Vista Business 64 Service Pack 1.

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

You can just create a new VM based on the same .hdd file you have. In this case you will actually have the same virtual machine you have now. Just mount your existing .hdd file to the new VM which is stored in Home/Documents/Parallels by default.

3. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

My Home/Documents/Parallels folder is empty ?!

4. Andrew@Parallels

Okay, what`s your Parallels Desktop version and build? Parallels Desktop --> About Parallels Desktop.
    Use the Spotlight for .hdd search.

5. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

Build 4.0.3552 (trial)

The only .hdd file on the machine is in MacMirror/WindowsXP VM Backup/My Boot Camp (backup). I made this from an old Windows XP VM

6. Andrew@Parallels

Alright it`s .pvm file you need in Parallels Desktop 4.

7. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

The old one "Windows Vista.pvm" or the new one "Windows Vista 1.pvm"?

I tried the obvious "Windows Vista.pvm", but when it booted it said that the drive was invalid. Then I used the "Vista 1" version and I now have a new VM with no apps installed. Ok, that is certainly better than before even though I have to start loading all of the apps, etc.

Thank you for showing me the way out of my problem. I wonder what happened to the original hdd?

Is it possible to update a new VM with a snapshot of another VM?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  8. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

No, it's not possible. Regarding the old VM, is it a Boot Camp based one? Could you please attach screenshots of that error message.

9. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

I started all over from scratch: created a new VM and loaded all the software. Work pretty well, but is very slow in screen redraw while in Window mode.
    If I had it all to do over again I probably would not: just stick with V3 until V4 was actually ready for the public.

Great product - poor judgement on release.

Thank you for your dilegence in helping me :)

10. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Bob James,

Thank you for your feedback. As for the Windows slow in screen redraw, I would recommend you to try to change the amount of Video memory in Configuration of Virtual Machine > Hardware > Video, and also try to change Hardware acceleration on Windows side going to Start > Control Panel > Display > Troubleshoot.

11. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

I tried to post this and it didn't get posted so I'll try again.

My video memory is set at 128MB. I'm using two ATI cards with one monitor attached to each card. Each card has 256MB of video memory. The reason I'm using two cards is that I wanted to use four monitors, but Parallels would not work with all four attached (two 30" and two 24" monitors). I've not been able to successfully run Parallels with video memory set at 256MB.

My latest problem is that, using Parallels Image Tool on my MacPro/Vista 64, I tried to expand my .hdd from 32GB to 320GB, but it didn't work. The Image Tool indicated that the expansion had been successful, but when I open up Computer it still shows I have only 32GB of space on my Vista (C:) drive [with only 1GB left!]. My physical hard drive is two 750GB mirrored.
    I was successful in doing this expansion on my iMac/Vista 32 from 32GB to 128GB. In this case my physical hard drive is a single 750GB.