After upgrade to v4, XP Pro extremely slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by villox, Nov 11, 2008.

1. bi11

bi11 Hunter

Check out my last post on this thread. If you are at all savvy with the terminal, setting up file sharing, and using simple commands to setup soft links (the unix command "ln -s"), maybe you too can hackup access to the directories you need and use windows builtin networking/drive letter mapping. It is how I got around the shared folder performance problems.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31198

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. golfcarter

golfcarter Bit poster

Thanks so much, I'll check it out.

3. nmetro@frii.com

nmetro@frii.com Bit poster

I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0 and at that time I did not install the Parallels Internet Security software. My problem was that I had to play around in the Windows XP registry so I could reuse a static IP address which I assigned to my virtual machine. The upgrade creates a new virtual network interface, does not get rid of the old one out of the registry and it does not make the old interface :"visible" in order to get rid of it. So, one has to search through the registry for the static IP address and change it to something else; in order to reuse it on a new interface.

After I fixed the IP address problem; I then installed the Parallels Internet Security software on my Windows XP virtual machine. After rebooting, my system slowed to a crawl. I thought it was the Time Machine Backups or clamvd; but the Mac OX top command showed very little CPU, disk or memory activity. I rebooted my Windows XP virtual machine (it took forever to go down) and logged in as soon as possible. When the Internet Security Software started; I immediately exited the software. I then removed the software from the sytem from the Control Panel (Add/Remove Software). After a reboot; the system was running fine.

So, either do not install or remove Parallels Internet Security. I do not know if the AVG virus detector or Microsoft's Windows Security Software may have compounded this problem, but removal of the Internet Security fixed the problem.

4. beautox

beautox Bit poster

Annoyed at paying to be beta tester

Another software company charging users for being beta testers. They should be paying me!

The new v4 is rubbish and not ready for release imho

It's slow and unstable. Far from being faster as touted, it's MUCH slower how ever many CPUs you assign. And I have an 8 CPU Mac Pro..

Also it crashes all the time. Basically I feel ripped off and want my money back

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We provided prizes for active beta testers, and they was no mention that beta testers will receive free upgrade.
    We specially mentioned that in beta 4 forum

6. beautox

beautox Bit poster

I bought an upgrade; I did not offer to be a beta tester. It just turned out that way. The website says that v4 was faster than v3 which is why I paid $39.95 to upgrade. I've downgraded to v3 now, and I want my $39.95 back

7. pushupstairs

pushupstairs Bit poster

I have to say I agree with the disgruntled comments. After an install of PD4, my XP (bootcamp) was grinding to a halt each time a started it up. I did have a problem during the upgrade too but that seem to correct itself.

Thankfully, I used a trial license to test it out and I'm glad I didn't pay the 35 GBP upgrade fee (rip off britain as usual).

Back on PD3 now and everything running like it did before - really disappointed as had high hopes for PD4.

To get back to PD3, I removed Parallel Tools, then uninstalled PD4, reinstalled PD3, installed parallel tools, all with a few reboots here and there. I was expecting it to take ages given how long the "upgrade" process took but was all done in <20 minutes.

Few other PD4 comments:

1. Love the new smart USB selection and being able to use external disks in both environments really easily.
    2. Love the taskbar icons being in the Mac menu bar in coherence mode (smart!).
    3. Generally love the new interface, but hate the fact that I can't have my icons to the left/right in Single Window mode. The Top & Bottom approach doesn't really favour widescreens!!

Shame the engine hasn't been pimp'd with the exterior! Fingers crossed that fixes will be coming soon! I'll certainly purchase an upgrade when it is worth it.

8. dinvi

dinvi Bit poster

same here

i confirm that pd4 is slower them pd3.

on imac 3gb ram 2,16 ghz cpu

and on mac pro 8 core 8gb, VM with 4 cpu and 2gb ram.

i hope resolve prooblem with upgrade

9. angusm

angusm Bit poster

I've had the same experience. Under Parallels 4.0, it will accept the first few mouse clicks, and then the whole Windows UI simply stops responding. Activity Monitor shows little or no activity in Parallels, suggesting that it isn't CPU-bound; the UI has just gone away, and a shutdown and restart is the only option. After restart, same business: Windows works for a few clicks, then stops responding.

MacBook Pro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.5.
    Using a Boot Camp volume.
    Windows XP
    I have installed the Kaspersky tools in Parallels.

Parallels 4.0 doesn't seem to be usable on this machine; Parallels 3.0 ran fine.

I've submitted a support request, but forgot to note the ID (ooops, sorry).

10. els76uk

els76uk Member

I posted under a separate thread: I switched off windows Fast Find, and immediately noticed a huge improvement in performance. You need to take it out of the startup group and also stop it in control panel.

I think it's an unfortunate coincidence that P4 came out at the same time as my version of windows updated itself with Fast Find - I blamed Parallels rather than MS :)

11. RickAce

RickAce Junior Member

Video Performance Very Slow

I am experiencing some of the same issues - especially when using the program "TradeStation" (www.tradestation.com).

Video performance is very sluggish compared to PDv3.

I have increased Ram to 1.3 Gigs, VRAM to 256MB, Processors to 2 and it has not made a difference. Video very sluggish. Clicking between open work spaces in TradeStation there is a long delay. I did not have this issue in PDv3.

Mac Book Pro 17"
    OSX 10.5.5
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 3 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0407
    Revision ID: 0x00a1
    ROM Revision: 3175

12. SnowyRiver

SnowyRiver Bit poster

This thread is giving me pause.

I'm currently running PD3, and I don't have much in the way of complaints. It runs fast and, in general, reliably on my system, even when I'm pushing it hard (SolidWorks!). I had heard a variety of people saying that PD4 was faster, but it sounds like there is a bit of YMMV. If there's even the chance of PD4 being a dog for me, I'm not sure I want to install it. After all, if it's not broken...

13. RickAce

RickAce Junior Member

UPDATE:

I went ahead and shut down Windows XPPro (SP3) and adjusted Parallels (4.0.3540) via "Configure".

I changed two settings:

First I set "CPU" back to one (1) and I set "Video" back to 128MB.

All is well now (I think I will set "Video" back to 256MB and see how Parallels responds).

14. Jon Innes

Jon Innes Bit poster

Final release Parallels 4.0 and XP Pro broken

Running 2.4GHZ macbook with 4GB RAM. Macmall did the initial install and I installed all available upgrades. It was running reasonably well for a couple of days, especially after I switched to manual memory allocation and upped the amount of RAM to 1GB (running Office 2007, including Outlook).

Got a prompt to install a patch yesterday when rushing off to a meeting. Hit yes without thinking much of it and now XP takes literally an hour to start Outlook. It was so unresponsive at first that I ended up restarting the VM many times just to get past XP login (getting XP errors about a corrupt profile, etc.). Could not get XP to even let me shut down because it was so slow that it looked locked up. I think it was because the VM was running during the patch (OK not smart but I'm not used to programs that let you install things that don't check that kind of stuff).

After way too much fiddling, I'm thinking it might be that the update installed the Parallel's internet security and updated tools. My employers are not Mac friendly, this may end up being the end of my Mac use.

Jon

15. DiScO

DiScO Bit poster

Network & kaspersky

I have noticed that when XP starts to become non responsive, the network appears to disconnect. I get the 2 monitors with the red X through it. It does seem to reconnect and then things seem to spring back into life, so maybe that's an issue. As a side note to this and to another thread I posted on, I removed the kaspersky internet security and my XP VM now boots up as it did with V3, very quick. I will see during the course of the day wether or not it improves the performance of the VM.

Cheers.

16. pic8

pic8 Bit poster

Installed //4 current version on Leopard 10.5.5

I have a Macbook 2.4 Ghz and installed XP Pro SP3 on Bootcamp before installing Parallels 4.0.
    I tried several configurations and ended up with sharing the systems ressources equally between Mac OS and XP:
    - 128 Mo VRAM
    - 1 Go RAM
    - 1 single processor
    With this configuration, running fullscreen, Parallels works almost fine, EXCEPTED during boot time (FIVE long minutes to open XP!) and log off. And everything becomes sluggish during this boot sequence. I'm far from the bluffing video example shown on the Parallels website. Forget using the Coherence mode, forget the window mode as well: they are too slow for a real everyday use.
    Hope everything will be fixed soon.

PS: I installed Leopard 10.5.6 since but saw no performance improvement. At least, it didn't make the whole thing running instable... Good point....

17. John@Parallels

I believe that you noticed message
    This is Boot Camp VM, it will take up to 5 min to initialize Boot Camp drivers

18. toadstool

toadstool Junior Member

Last night I purchased Parallels Desktop 4.0 for my Macbook Pro 2GHz Intel Core Duo / 2GB RAM / BootCamp partition, and ran the update feature. Windows boots but I don't get a START menu and Parallels Tools installation never ends. I've left it running for 15 hours now and still the same screen:
    [​IMG]

I've rebooted the VM and it still does the same thing. Please help!
    -Joel

19. toadstool

toadstool Junior Member

I'm unable to install Parallels Tools.

20. John@Parallels

Please create ticket in support