not a genuine windows?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ruchama, Nov 23, 2008.

1. ruchama

ruchama Bit poster

I have upgraded to PD4, and following all kind of errors, stucks etc, the system is running ok (for my needs).
    However, since the upgrade, windows (xp) consistently claims that my copy of windows did not pass a validation test. I own a legal copy of windows since starting ot use parallels, and never had this problem before.
    I understand fron reading through some messages, that this may have to do with changing the mac address by PD4. I think I managed to dig PD3's address from a backup disk. however; changing the addres in PD4 did not help.
    Can anyone give me an advise how to solve the problem?

thanks in advance,

2. TrevorRu

TrevorRu Bit poster

I didn't have the same issue but this may be of some help.
    I had a major failure of my MacBook Pro earlier this year and had to replace the machine. The Apple Store were able to transfer the hard disc contents to the new machine, but when I ran Windows in Parallels it said I needed to activate it. When I attempted to do this, I was told the software was in use on another machine and needed to be deactivated there before being activated on the new machine. Of course, I couldn't deactivate it on the old machine because that machine was 'dead'. In the activation process there was a 'Help' function that gave me a number to call at Microsoft. Much to my surprise, I got to talk to someone with only minimal wait time. I explained the situation and they gave my an 'unlock' key that I had to enter.
    If you still have your Windows system discs and/or product key, you may want to try calling them.

3. ruchama

ruchama Bit poster

I do have the disk, but I resent the fact that I need to persuade microsoft people to do favours, just because I have upgraded a mac software.. what about other users - all those with reactivation issues etc- any chance for paralles' people helping us with this issue? (like approaching microsoft on behalf of us all?)
    thanks

4. ruchama

ruchama Bit poster

I just spent 40 minutes consulting microsoft people. Since I own an academic license for windows, there is no way they can unlock my key, as a result my key is practically lost and I must purchase a new license! I must say that this raises some legal issues, concerning parallels' upgrade causing financial lost, not to mention all the time and efforts invested in trying to solve this problem. I am still waiting for some reply from Parallels people. I understand there is a majour crisis while trying to solve these problems. but please - say something!!

5. jmanos3

jmanos3 Member

I may be misinterpreting your statement above but it seems like you said you changed the MAC address after you converted the VM. The change of the MAC address has to happen after you "upgrade" the VM but before you "convert" the VM. The distinction is subtle but important.

Once you open your PD3 VM, it will ask to upgrade, which you should do. When it asks to convert it, say no. At this point you can confirm the MAC address by changing the settings of the VM.

At this point, I would recommend that you download PD4 build 3540, install it, and the attempt to upgrade and convert your VM again. I believe build 3540 contained a fix to not to change the MAC address of an upgraded/converted VM. I did test this and it did work (meaning the MAC address did not change).

Be prepared though that other virtual hardware changes may tip off the activation process within Windows so there is no guarantee that doing this will prevent re-activation.

6. ruchama

ruchama Bit poster

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, when I discovered that my Windows is not considered 'genuine', my VM had been already converted. Only then I have noticed the multiple threads on re-activation problems. Build 3540 is already installed by me. However the problem did not disappear. Unfortunately, I do not have the PD3 vm anymore.. I may, at some point, try to install a new XP VM under this (or hopefully, a later) build and copy all data and software. but I shall postpone it as long as I can. In the mean time, I got rid of microsoft annoying messages (through some free software) so at list I can work without being irritated.. Strange though, that no Parallels person found it appropriate to respond to this message, or to many other unhappy messages..

7. ruchama

ruchama Bit poster

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I have noticed the problem only after I had upgraded my VM, and only then I understood that it is a part of a wider problem. the newer build is installed by me, but I do ot have the PD3 VM anymore so I am stuck.. I am amazed, really, not to mention disappointed, that the computing team had not anticipated such a problem, and prevened it before the first build was released. what could be more basic than that? and how should a common user anticiapte something like that and stop upgrading in the middle of the process with not notification?
    Also, I follow very closely the forum over the past few days and I wait eagerly to see FINALLY some official parallels person apologizing for the mess this new release has caused for so many people. and it is still being sold at this moment!

8. jmanos3

jmanos3 Member

I feel the pain Ruchama and I am in total agreement that upgrade/conversion issues related to Windows activation should have been experienced by both the Parallels team and the beta testers during testing. In some part, they must have otherwise there would not have been a knowledge base article on manually upgrading. At the same time, providing more information up-front regarding activation issues would have certainly helped minimize customers disruptions.

In defense of Parallels, the Windows activation issues are not within their control so I personally give them a break on this. As a user of both Parallels and VMware, I have run into Windows activation issues with both products.