How long should Image Tool take to merge snapsnhots?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BigJoe, Sep 30, 2008.

1. BigJoe

BigJoe Bit poster

I'm using the Image Tool to merge snapshots. It says that it "may require a significant amount of time to complete". The progress bar went to 100% reasonably quickly but it's been almost 12 hours and it's still processing. My HDD is about 10GB.

I have three questions.

1. How long should this process take?
    2. Is more than 12 hours reasonable?
    3. How can I tell if anything is being done and it's not just spinning?

Thanks in advance

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. emma

emma Bit poster

HELP!! How to know if Merge snapshots is doing anything?

i have the same problem here, got the answer to 1 and 2 (apparently it can really take almost forever if youre unlucky!)
    still, i am left wondering on 3: is there any way i can tell if the disk tool is still doing something, or do i just rely on pure faith here that some day it will be ready? Comments, anyone? Parallels?
    I am extremely grateful for any help here, i don't know if i should just keep on going or if it's faster just to quit and re-install everything...

4. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

you can check if it is running normally via Activity Monitor -- a process running should consume memory and CPU time dynamically.

5. emma

emma Bit poster

Hi, thanks -
    the activity monitor claims that image tool is running and doing stuff; CPU use 150% (!!)
    disk activity at the moment says Reads in 2601685, Reads out 2566816. Data read 110.13 GB, data written 63.95GB, and read / written keeps creeping up, i have nothing else running on my mac now.
    So you would say that as long as memory and CPU are taken up by image tool and don't appear stuck everything is still fine? I'm just baffled by the progress bar, stuck at 100% for three days now...

I guess i will still let it run, as long as there is hope it will finish, i don't want to ruin the VMA by stopping.
    Is there any way to estimate how long this will still take? VMA was about 40GB, I have about the same amount free on my hardrive, 4 GB RAM so that shouldn't be a problem either.
    Thanks a lot for your help!