prl_vm_app yomping all my cpu time

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ichi, Nov 12, 2008.

1. patimages

patimages Member

same here.

2. Birdman

Birdman Member

Any update/fix for the issue?

It is taking so long to fix it!

3. Birdman

Birdman Member

Any update/solution for this issue?

It is taking so long no response/answer from Parallel!

4. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

Run your VM, right-click the 'My Computer' icon, select 'Properties'. Open the 'Hardware' tab, go to 'Device Manager'. Check if you have any system devices with yellow exclamation marks/red crosses next to them and either roll back the drivers or update them. Keep in mind that to do the update you must first mount the cd image with Parallels Tools - to do that before you start your VM open the Configuration Editor (Virtual Machine => Configure), go to CD/DVD-ROM 1, select 'Image File' and browse to /Library/Parallels/Tools/prl_tools_win.iso.

5. patimages

patimages Member

what if we did all that, do not have any exclamation dot and still have a huge load caused by prl_vm_app. It s been a week, numerous post by many and no solution...

6. STim

STim Bit poster

Juankr, Birdman, patimages - please check your private messages.

7. patimages

patimages Member

I am glad to announce that I fixed my problem. As mentioned, by your team in another post, that only converted VM would be affected, I reinstalled a fresh VM with XP within PD4 and copied my data to the new machine. There is no issue any longer, PD4 performing nicely and better than PD3 !!!!!!! I know it is a bothering fix but I have to say that it worth it. PD4 is really faster than PD3 especially after removing all the prl_* file from system32 (for some reasons, those PD3 files were installed even with an install from within PD4) and reinstalling the tools. Issue solved for me

8. patimages

patimages Member

stim - please check your private messages.

9. shaun_morrison

shaun_morrison Bit poster

Me too

I have read through all posts on this (currently) four page thread and I cannot resolve this issue. The process prl_vm_app is eating up my computers resources.

You advice is appreciated.

Many thanks.

10. patimages

patimages Member

PM "Stim" above, he may help.

11. Juankr

Juankr Member

This is my VM....

Attached Files:

12. Juankr

Juankr Member

My VM is here..

Attached Files:

13. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Try this KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5810, if it hangs during the VM uprgade try pressing Ctrl+Cmd+Option+R to interrupt the process, then follow the steps from KB article

14. pgee@utas.edu.au

pgee@utas.edu.au Bit poster

prl_perf_ctl -a -l 10 output as requested

the output was too long for the textbox, attached.

Attached Files:

15. eread

eread Member

I just want to say, for the benefit of the people who are watching this forum, that the latest build (30 Dec 2008) completely fixed the problem for me. Instead of idling at 100% - 160%, it idles at 5% or less. I changed nothing and tweaked no setting. I just installed the latest build.

Well done guys. Now, if you guys could get Parallels tools shipping for Windows 98, that'd be awesome.

16. Ed Stembridge

Ed Stembridge Junior Member

Updating processor drivers fixed it for me, too

2.33 GHz C2D MacBook Pro 17 (Late 2006), 10.5.6, 3GB RAM, PD 4.0.3810 (assigned 1.4GB RAM), WinXP Pro w/all updates & SPs (assigned 1GB RAM, 256MB VRAM).

After upgrading to PD 4.0, performance suffered noticeably, accompanied by processor usage maxing out regardless of memory settings or use of one or two cores.

Upon seeing the suggestion to check for errant processor drivers in WinXP, I was indeed showing the yellow ! symbol and after some fiddling around, figured out how to update the drivers, which was successful.

I am now seeing quite reasonable processor usage, and the fans rarely come on anymore (before they would run almost constantly).

Speed in PD 4.0.3810 has picked up somewhat after this fix, but it still slower than PD 3.x. I'm exploring converting my expanding VM file to a standard one (was noticeably faster when I tested with an external drive), but haven't figured out how to make the standard file smaller (the conversion causes it to go from 38GB to over 100GB, which won't fit on my internal drive).

es

17. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

18. Ed Stembridge

John,

I have created a trouble ticket (several days ago), and it's been elevated to 2nd level support. I didn't save the last email with the ID #, though...

es

19. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Ok, let me know if you didn't receive reply in 2-3 days

20. Ed Stembridge

Thanks for checking in, John. I still have not heard back, but was able to figure out how to reload the processor drivers, which fixed that particular problem - no more maxed CPUs and constant fans. While PD4 is running faster now, it still is not as fast as PD3 felt... screen refreshes are slower, and it just feels sluggish. Not sure what else I can do to speed it up any more other than waiting for updates to PD4.