Finder Preferences changed by launching Parallels 4

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ronningt, Nov 17, 2008.

1. ronningt

ronningt Bit poster

I have my Mac OS Finder Preferences set so that the 'Connected Servers' do not appear on the desktop. Since upgrading to Parallels 4, every time I launch my Boot Camp XP installation through Parallels, this preference gets turned back on. How do I stop this from happening?

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

I was not able to reproduce it. What build do you have? Check if behavior's the same when running virtual machine with turned off Shared Folders and Shared Profile.

3. jdandrea

jdandrea Junior Member

I have the same problem. I have to keep on turning off Connected Servers each time I run Parallels 4.0.

I do have Shared Folders and Shared Profile on. Will try the latest 4.0 build first to see if that helps. If not, I'll turn off Shared Folders/Profile and try again.

4. jdandrea

jdandrea Junior Member

OK, even with the latest Parallels build (4.0.3540) the problem still happens. However, I have noticed that it only happens on RESUME. So if I start up XP SP3, all's well. I then close Parallels and suspend the VM. I startup Parallels again, resume XP SP3 ... and that's when two things happen:

1. MacOS Finder's Connected Servers preference is forced to ON.

2. The Windows Taskbar is _also_ forced to display, even if it was previously hidden.

5. jdandrea

jdandrea Junior Member

Ah-ha! "Mount virtual disks to Mac OS desktop" is also enabled (VM Preferences). When I uncheck that, both problems go away (Connected Servers not re-enabled, Windows Taskbar remains hidden).

Come to think of it, you don't really mount a disk to the desktop, so it may be wise to reword this part of the VM prefs. Even then, forcing Connected Servers to on may not be the best course of action. Perhaps advise folks to enable that directly? YMMV!

6. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Thank you, we will fix this bug.

7. akleczkowski

akleczkowski Bit poster

I have a related problem since upgrading to Parallels 4. In contrast to the previous post, I *do* keep Windows drives on the desktop. They also used to appear under Devices in Finder window. This entry is now gone. I often need to, for example, save a file to one of the Windows disks, or open one and I cannot find Windows drives any more.

AK

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Drug Windows drives from desktop to Finder to devices section

9. akleczkowski

akleczkowski Bit poster

Thanks! This seems to have solved the problem.

AK