How do I find my image backup?

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by lfedje, Nov 27, 2008.

1. lfedje

lfedje Junior Member

I just installed the upgrade to Parallels 4.0, and in the process used the backup and install function, however it didn't ask me for a backup destination, at least not that I can remember.

All appears to be working ok.

How would I find the backup file in case I need it in the future. Eventually I will want to delete it because it takes up 15GB of my HD space. I made a second backup as well and can find that one ok.

Loren

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

By default it's stored under Mac HD/Users/<your username>/Documents/Parallels/, alternatively you can use Spotlight -- type there .hdd

3. lfedje

lfedje Junior Member

Thanks, but nothing in that path. I have tried to find .hdd, and it found one, but it was the one from the second security backup that I made.

I wonder where that sucker is? I know that it was done because it took so long to create.

Loren

4. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

If Spotlight gave no results, then it's highly unlikely on your Mac HD. Anyway, you can try to find it using size search parameter -- Finder -> Services -> Spotlight -> click '+' at the top -> choose from Kind list Other... -> select Size parameter -> choose is greater than and specify for example 1Gb -- it will show all files bigger than 1Gb on your HD. Probably, the first backup was just overwritten with the second one.

5. lfedje

lfedje Junior Member

Ok, I found it.

By using Ctrl > Click, I was able to see the contents of the new .pvm file, and low and behold, that's where it was. Tucked nicely inside a folder called Windows XP 30GB (Backup) - the name of my original file was Windows XP 30GB.

The old winxp.hdd was 15.82GB with the total contents of the backup package at 16.7GB, and the new one is 11.33GB after compression, all inclusive.

So, now I can get rid of the Backup as soon as I send everything over to Time Machine.

Thanks, Loren