Upgrade to Version 3 build 5626

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DHW, Nov 23, 2008.

1. DHW

DHW Junior Member

When I am using parallels, I get a notice that an upgrade is available. I request downloading of the update and it appears on the Mac desk top but will not open. I have tried to find a link of the Parallels site but only have the option for upgrading to Version 4. I have spent the last 2 days installing 4 with very poor results. When it was finally installed, the performance is FAR WORSE than Version 3 (so much for truth in advertising) so I removed it and went back to Version 3, hence the request to get to get a link for the update.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

update was published , which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

3. DHW

DHW Junior Member

I found and downloaded the Version 4 upgrade that you referred to. It fixed the installation problems but the performance of version 4 is still unacceptable. I plan to stick with Version 3 which works but wanted to know how to access build 5626. I do not plan to go to Version 4 and am trying to contact Parallels store for a refund as the product was not what was advertised.

4. doboy

doboy Junior Member

5. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

Would you please clarify a bit, what kind of performance issues do you mean?
    Probably, we can search a bit and find the configuration which will work as supposed to?

Thank you in advance.

6. DHW

DHW Junior Member

Version 4 is extremely slow and appears to have changed the configuration of XP. I have a MacBook Pro with 2.33 Ghz and 2 mb, 1 of which is allocated to Parallels. Boot time and time to open a program or file is over twice as long as with Version 3. The configuration change comment relates to window size. With Version 4, maximizing a window causes the tool bar to be covered – something related to the extremely large bar at the top of the window?? I have checked the Desktop properties and all is normal. I use this system for all my work and, quite frankly, cannot afford the time to trouble shoot.

7. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

OK, thank you for the clarification.

Would you please send me privately a config.pvs from your virtual machine bundle (it should be something like WindowsXP.pvm in your Documents by default). Open it with right-click -> show package content. It seems, that memory configuration (or something) is set improperly. Or just click Help -> Report a problem and let me know report number.

8. DHW

DHW Junior Member

Yes but it will be this weekend - I removed Version 4 and will have to reinstall. Since I need the current build for work, I need to wait until saturday.

9. cathyf

cathyf Bit poster

Does this one work? I've tried the automatic update, and the dmg is broken. (This happened with the last parallels update, too. C'mon, guys, you should have figured out how to post a working dmg by now!)

10. DHW

DHW Junior Member

Nonworking dmg files via auto update seem to be a patern so I try to download directely. Have not been able to get a link, however, as they are pushing Version 4. Been there done that and have no interest in going back (unless they are able to tell me what is wrong on the performance side). I will post here if it is working by the weekend. Until then, can anyone please provide a link to Version 3 build 5626?

11. pythonzz

pythonzz Parallels Team

download it from -->
    http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5626-Mac-en.dmg

12. DHW

DHW Junior Member

Thanks - I will respond to the test on Version 4 this weekend

13. After Hours

After Hours Member

Not everyone that I support will upgrade to v4 in the near future. It may be a few quarters away. Why wouldn't you post links to AND KEEP THEM on your website's download page? Some of us actually do keep copies of our installers safely on optical backups, but many foolishly do not. I would think having these available on the web is an obvious customer service outreach -- leverage the intent and power of the web, rather than pay staff to have to address such requests one-on-one, or risk customer dissatisfaction or frustration by removing older valid updates.

14. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

Coming soon! We're working on it, at the very least in the form of a KB with the relevant links.

15. Saiing

Saiing Junior Member

It's comical. I think over the last couple of years I've done something like 8 or 9 updates to version 3.

The automatic updater has NEVER WORKED ONCE. EVER. PERIOD. NADA. NOTHING DOING.

I get a notification of an update, choose the download and install option which just causes Parallels to hang until I do a 'force quit'. Then I go off and trawl through the forum trying to find a link where I can download and manually install it. Same process every time.

16. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

I'm SO glad it's not just me. I have also reverted to Version 3 which moves like greased lightning in comparison with PD4.

If you're thinking of upgrading - consider very seriously how much free time you've got - that is, to recover even a fraction of the speed you had with PD3.