ctrl key gets stuck

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by els76uk, Nov 20, 2008.

1. els76uk

els76uk Member

Hi, I have an occasional problem with Parallels 4.0.3522 in that the ctrl key sometimes gets 'stuck' and the only way to 'release' it is to quit parallels. this is very annoying, as the only way i realise it's stuck down is that odd stuff happens, as though I was control-clicking on things.

Anyone know how to resolve this? I don't know what makes it happen or how to replicate it.

2. els76uk

els76uk Member

I'm still finding this happening in 4.0.3540 - except, today, quitting and reopening parallels didn't release the CTRL key.

Please help, Parallels support!!

3. ignas2526

ignas2526 Bit poster

I have same problem, but its gets solved then i reopening parallels.

4. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

5. els76uk

els76uk Member

Thanks, Forgiven. Yes, similar except that today I had to restart windows to release the sticky key (didn't realise it was the windows key, not ctrl - don't think i ever used the win key when i had a real PC).

6. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

7. els76uk

els76uk Member

Thanks Forgiven - but that doesn't work for me. Still happens.

8. mr.mcgoo

mr.mcgoo Bit poster

I had same problem, Windows key seemingly stuck on. I have changed the configuration to make Ctrl + Option + Command = the Windows key. Now when it sticks (happens about once a day) I press those three keys and the problem goes away.

I have other issues too like it's taken me back to the Windows login screen a few times for no good reason!

9. fnerg

fnerg Bit poster

CTRL key in general

This has happened to me about twice in the last week or so. The workaround posted helped, but it's still annoying.

I'd like to add that the way you guys handled the CMD/CTRL keys in the previous version was really good. Why did you change everything around? It's much simpler to just swap the CMD and CTRL keys so you don't have to set up a custom shortcut for every key on the keyboard.

10. bugmenot

bugmenot Bit poster

Workaround by Remapping Keys in Windows (XP).

I solved this problem with Parallels introducing latency as well as stuck ctrl / windows keys, by
    doing the remapping via a Windows Registry "hook". This works pretty find - it works like changing the Windows keylayout.
    I did not experience any more problems of latency or stuck keys - having all Parallels remapping turned of! :)

The general description is given here (not my webpage)
    http://seankerwin.org/archives/2007/07/curing_parallel.shtml

VERY Important if you want to use this explanation:
    The binary key value should be named "Scancode Map"!
    Otherwise, this hook won't work.
    Second:
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    30 00 00 00 1D 00 5B E0
    5B E0 1D 00 00 00 00 00
    will do both: the mapping of (CMD) Win Key to the Ctrl Key for windows and the mapping of Left (real) Ctrl-Key to the left Windows key.

For further information (be careful with editing window registry, try this link of MSN)
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/w2kscan-map.mspx

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Dis you try to upgrade to build 3810?

12. bugmenot

bugmenot Bit poster

Nope, sorry. As I had a lot of trouble & problems due to this "half working key switch", I could not stand any longer to find a solution. And as this solves my problem perfectly at the right place (in my opinion) and without any extra-overhead in Parallels I would prefer solution over a working Parallels key-swap. It helps when working in Bootcamp without the Parallels environment as well - big advantage :)

For all other's I hope it works in 3810!

13. jd555

jd555 Bit poster

Win key and other modifiers get stuck in 3810

I am running Win XP Pro SP 3 in Parallels 4.0.3810 on a MacBook 10.5.6, and am seeing the stuck key problem. Typically I see the win key (aka Cmd key), but also the shift key seems to get stuck. I'm not sure about the Ctrl key.

The Cmd-Option-Ctrl workaround seems to unstick them.

jd

14. jbru

jbru Bit poster

Build 3810 CTRL key getting stuck

My CTRL key is getting stuck every time using Parallels. CTRL-ALT-COMMAND workaround unstuck does work however would be good to see this resolved.

15. ignas2526

ignas2526 Bit poster

That helps me to

16. Yosem74

Yosem74 Bit poster

I am also experiencing a Stuck Windows key on Win XP Pro SP 3 in Parallels 4.0.3810 on a MacBook Pro 10.5.6.
    I don't recall ever having this problem 3 months ago.

The Cmd-Option-Ctrl workaround seems to unstick them. This needs fixing.