4.0/3540 doesn't install PTools on XP from v3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Herve S., Nov 29, 2008.

1. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

I just upgraded this morning (bought/registered), have converted my "XP disk" to v4, and since then I've lost coherence, dynamic resolution and even mouse sync.

I've tried reinstalling Parallels tools to no avail; I see the wizard "decompressing", then quite quickly (too quickly?) I get the last step ("now installed, must restart").
    I restart (which looks slower than in v3?!) but clearly the tools functionalities are still not there.

Honestly I feel like I regressed to v1 rather than upgrading :-( and I don't know at all what to do from now...

2. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

some details in addition: each time I try to reinstall PT, I lose some dozen Mo on my HD, without knowing where they go; and during the PT install process the last step starts with a blank progress line (0%) and suddenly says "finished" without having shown any progress in the said bar, which surprises me (compared to the slow progress in all previous steps)

3. patimages

patimages Member

4. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

Sorry, I read it from beginning to end, and deinstalled Parallels Tools, both via the windows deinstaller and by hand, various times, with no efect. Don't have coherence, don't have window autoresize... spent hours of rebooting both PC and also hosting mac in case it'd help, still stuck :-(
    And I discovered that in my chain of snapshots, all the ones from before v4 are just unusable. Extremely worrying.

5. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Herve S., could you please go to the virtual machine configuration screen, find the CD/DVD-ROM 1 item there, make sure it is set to 'File Image' and the path specified is '\Library\Parallels\Tools\prl-tools-***.iso'

6. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

Thank you very much Anna fot this hint. Indeed the CD/DVD wasn't set to file image at all.

I did it, and selected '\Library\Parallels\Tools\prl-tools-win.iso' since it's a window hosted system (is this right?) and then restarted the hosted machine and asked for "reinstall PT tools". There was then a reboot, and no improvement.

I am now trying wih '\Library\Parallels\Tools\prl-tools-mac.iso' instead of .win but given the contents of this image I fear this indeed is for the mac side...

7. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

Hello Herve S.

To do a complete manual Parallels Tools reinstall 'by the book' please do the following:

-start your Virtual Machine, go to Start => My Computer => Control Panel => Add/remove programs. Locate the Parallels Tools entry (if it is there) and uninstall them;
    -shut down your VM, go to the Configuration Editor (Virtual Machine => Configure);
    -go to CD/DVD-ROM 1. select the 'use image file' radiobutton. click 'Choose'. go to /Library/Parallels/Tools and open the 'prl-tools-win.iso' file. click 'Ok'. start your Virtual Machine;
    -wait for Windows to boot completely. cancel any 'found new hardware' menus that pop up. go to Start => My Computer, right-click on the cd-rom icon (it should display the Parallels Tools logo) and select Autorun.

This should do it.

8. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

(continued)
    no improvement by selecting the .mac iso (I remember it's a win hosted system inside Parallels), so I went back to the .win iso file, and uninstalled PTools from the win interface ("remove programs...). Indeed Parallels detected this (at the bottom of the window I got "Parallels Tools are not installed. From the Virtual Machine menu, etc."

I then reinstalled Parallels tools, which lasted much longer than the last two attempts (among others I see a phase with "Registering Host applications..." that I didn's see before). This phase ended before the progress bar reach the right side (jumped apparently from ~75% to "complete, now reboot").
    No result, e. g., "Coherence" button doesn't do anything, nor does a change in Parallels window size.

9. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

Anna and ModronMarch, sorry for the above silly comment sent now : it should have been sent hours ago, before ModronMarch post. I'll try the step-by-step method, today if I can (I'm leaving for 3 days without the mac!)

10. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

Well, I'm now back from my travel, and I did everyting as described in the "by the book" post from ModronMarch: no improvement. No coherence, no window autorezize...
    Sorry, I am lost, and didn't solve my issue for more than a week now. If I have to reinstall windows from scratch in the host, upgrading will have been a catastrophy for me, contrary to all previous times. (yes I followed you from day 1)
    One of my sons is passing by this week-end and I fear I'll be in a position to discourage him to upgrade :-(

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Check what OS type is set - is it Windows ?
    Uninstall Parallels Tools from Windows, restart VM and try again

12. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

John: sorry to say this, but reinstalling PT on a win host is what the thread is all about IMHO.
    I've now done it maybe 15 times, in all the manners described earlier in the discussion -including the one you describe.
    And I'm not far from considering I have to re-create my win machine from scratch, which never happened througout all the previous upgrades sinve v1. If I really have to do this I'll call this upgrade a failure.
    Hervé

13. John@Parallels

Did you check Parallels Coherence service state in Services.msc
    It should be running, if it is not running and failed to start, something is wrong on Windows side

14. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

Thank you John -sorry to be so lame, but where do I find Services.msc?

15. otoc

otoc Member

I have found an occasional glitch in tools installing and found a simple reboot of the VM allows a reinstall.

When changing the VM settings within PD4, tools gets broken and seems to require it.

A simple uninstall from the Windows Control panel doesn't do it, nor does a simple Reinstall Tools from the PD4 menu.

If done this way, I get the Parallels Tools not installed error on the VM Boot.

I need to go into the files and manually uninstall files found in System32 and System32/Drivers and reboot before the Tools installation.

Boot Camp XP Pro SP3 VM.

Perhaps a simple reboot on an initial install will do the same. I didn't see that mentioned.

16. John@Parallels

Start - click Run - type Services.msc

17. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

John: in the Services I do have two named after Parallels:
    Parallels Coherence Service / no description / started / type automatic
    Parallels Tools Service /same comments as above

18. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

otoc: in fact I don't use Boot Camp, only VMs inside files handled by Parallels

19. John@Parallels

Could you please also check in Device Manager, state of Video adapter, and mouse device?

20. Herve S.

Herve S. Member

how do I do this?