Was P4 "Beta" or Final?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tonycarreon, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

wow. that's all i can say. so far it has been 99% unstable and unusable.

what happened to coherence? any time i put a vm in coherence it freezes and activity monitor shows "Parallels Desktop" and "Parallels Service" locked up and non-responsive. i have to force quit both, if i'm lucky enough for my mac to be responsive enough to do that.

for no reason at all suddenly parallels tools is no longer installed and i have to reinstall it.

idle cpu usage seems to be higher than in parallels 3...

i'd suggest putting p4 back in the oven because it's certainly not done yet. was this release rushed to grab some attention from the other co's recent release? if so p4 may indeed grab some headlines but certainly not the kind parallels is looking for.

i never thought i'd say "parallels 3 is pretty stable." time to downgrade.

2. Pixeljugger

Pixeljugger Member

I feel the same, it's been a horror show and a complete workday waste .....

3. plazmyd

plazmyd Junior Member

Neither, I think it is still in alpha.

4. biglar

biglar Pro

I did beta testing earlier and had a similar problem.
    Sometimes the usage goes really high until Parallels Tools is installed properly.
    Reinstall Tools and try to be patient -- it may take a while (up to an hour or so).

Good luck.

P.S. After it is installed properly it runs really well and I have never had a failure. At least my imac with xp does.

5. plazmyd

plazmyd Junior Member

Are you using a Boot Camp partition?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  6. biglar

biglar Pro

No, sorry. I do not have a Bootcamp partition.

7. ChDp

ChDp Bit poster

Is PD4 SUPPOSED TO be BootCamp compatible (compliant?) . In that case, I must have missed something…

8. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

9. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

I think it was rushed out for the holiday season.