Failed to configure the boot camp partitions hard disk

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by peterock, Nov 11, 2008.

1. rui

rui Bit poster

A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissio

Hi guys.

Well, I was using parallels desk 3.

Bought the upgrade option of parallels desk 4.

Downloaded it.

Installed it. Everything ok until here.

When I tried to back up and convert it just said: "A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permission".

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it.

Then, on the welcome to parallels desktop box I select "start using parallels desktop".

Then it pops a message saying: "please wait while parallels desktop is preparing for the first start". Then I just get an error dialog box, saying: "failed to configure the boot camp partition's hard disk. A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk".

So, does anyone have a clue on how to fix this?

If not, can I just install again parallels desktop 3? And, by the way, how? Because when I tried to do so, I did not find the boot camp partition; just the mac hdd.

Thank You very much.

Rui

2. Cynops

Cynops Junior Member

This is what the config.pvs file has to say:

<Hdd>
    <Index>0</Index>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Connected>1</Connected>
    <EmulatedType>3</EmulatedType>
    <SystemName>/Users/Atkinson/Library/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm/Hitachi
    HTS721010G9SA00.hdd</SystemName>
    <UserFriendlyName>Hitachi HTS721010G9SA00</UserFriendlyName>
    <Remote>0</Remote>
    <InterfaceType>0</InterfaceType>
    <StackIndex>0</StackIndex>
    <DiskType>1</DiskType>
    <Size>0</Size>
    <SizeOnDisk>0</SizeOnDisk>
    <Passthrough>0</Passthrough>
    <Splitted>0</Splitted>
    <DiskVersion>2</DiskVersion>
    <Partition>
    <SystemName>/dev/disk0s3</SystemName>
    </Partition>
    </Hdd>

Now this is for an NTFS boot camp partition that comes up as follows:
    df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s2 77Gi 50Gi 27Gi 65% /
    devfs 105Ki 105Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
    fdesc 1.0Ki 1.0Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
    map -hosts 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /net
    map auto_home 0Bi 0Bi 0Bi 100% /home
    /dev/disk0s3 16Gi 12Gi 4.2Gi 74% /Volumes/WindowsXP

The name looks right.

3. xtfer

xtfer Bit poster

Same problem

I have the same issue and have posted a ticket #629328.

4. RGWooden

RGWooden Bit poster

I have the same problem. My ticket number is #629547

5. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

Holy cow!

I must admit I was getting pretty, well, angry about this error... but I got back a support response that said to enter the following command in the Terminal:

mv "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/BootcampConfigurator" "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/MacOS/BootcampConfigurator.old"

After entering that one command, so far it's been smooth sailing.

The same thing might work for others in this thread - but I can't guarantee it will work, and just to be clear, I'm not responsible if the command erases your computer, burns down your house, or causes you to be attacked by mutant rabbits.

6. xtfer

xtfer Bit poster

This last suggestion made a difference

I received a long winded set of instructions about uninstalling Parallels tools from the Boot Camp partition, but this last suggestion did the trick.

What it does is renames a file called "BootcampConfigurator" within the Library folder. I assume Parallels is then forced to recreate that file without whatever was causing the problem.

Worth trying before you do anything else anyway, as it only takes 2 seconds.

7. rui

rui Bit poster

failed to configure the boot camp partitions hard disk (2)

Hi.

I'm still having the same problem.

I read here that it was fixed:

"The message "Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition" appears after the upgrade — fixed.
    Note: If this error occurs in the release version of Parallels Desktop 4.0, open the virtual machine configuration and click OK."

Ok but, WHERE? HOW?

TABS FOR IT PLEASE!!

Because I cannot find it.

Anyone knows?

Thank You very much.
    Rui

8. RGWooden

RGWooden Bit poster

Parallelogram,

Thank you for posting the instructions that you were given (below). I heard back from the support people quickly about my problem. I received the following instructions:

"Please try to do the following:
    stop your virtual machine,
    choose File->Remove in Parallels Desktop menu in the upper part of the screen.

"Then create a new virtual machine (File->New Virtual Machine)
    and use Boot Camp partition.
    You can find information abut it in the User Guide:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23112.htm"

However, that did NOT fix the problem--I had already done that, following instructions found on this discussion thread. So, after consulting with someone who knows what the the line from Parallelogram means (it moves a file), I opened "Terminal" under "Applications", "Utilities", put in the one-line instruction, then when I restarted Parallels, I had to go through the procedure sent by the support people, and it is fixed!

9. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

Woohoo! I finally posted something useful. :)

Yeah, I know it basically just renames a file to make Parallels recreate it from scratch. This is very unlikely to cause any problems even if it doesn't work, but I just wanted to be clear that fiddling with the Terminal can sometimes have the potential to cause problems.

10. jey2283

jey2283 Bit poster

i am getting the same exact problem! how do i fix it?

11. jey2283

jey2283 Bit poster

it seems like that terminal command got me to the next stage of installation. the conversion was successful...but then i got the following error: windows could not start because the following files i missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. please re-install a cop of the above. file

12. justbeyond40

justbeyond40 Bit poster

I have the same problem!

I am confronted with the very same problem using PD4 Build 3540: The space below "Partition ID" is blank, no list to choose from, just bare empty space! I never used an earlier version of PD since it is a brand new MacBook. BootCamp running Windows XP works just fine!

13. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It is necessary to select during boot time "Microsoft Windows XP", not Parallels, try to send F8 during boot and select correct profile

14. Michel Boire

Michel Boire Bit poster

I have the same problem, ticket #660738. Parallels told me it was a permission problem, to run the disk utility & repair permission. I did it but the problem did not change. I also tried renaming "BootcampConfigurator" as suggested in this thread, no difference and Parallels did not recreate one either. I am extremely frustrated considering I PAYED for an upgrade that does not even provide me with the functionalities that I had with the previous version!!!

What I don't get is, I am creating a NEW VM to access Bootcamp and it UPGRADES? Why does it upgrade something new? I know it has to upgrade the parallels tools in XP but that only happens once the session in XP is Up and running.

BTW all of my VMs failed though upgrade process. I had to recreate from scratch, which was successfull.... except for bootcamp.

15. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

what is ticket ID with Boot Camp problem?

16. Michel Boire

Michel Boire Bit poster

As mentionned in first sentence -->[Parallels #660738] [PD4] Parallels accessing Boot camp

17. JeromeP

JeromeP Bit poster

I have the now very famous error message " Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk. A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk."
    [​IMG]

Of course I tried all the possible solution mentionned in this thread and otherwise found on internet and no one work.

I Opened a ticket (735191) and got a severity of 3 which of course is quite interesting because according to the severity page , it implies that I do have a "non-critical loss of functionality of the Software ... but allows customer to continue using the Software". Oh yes I still can use the software but I'm not able to start a single hosted OS. I would have expected at least severity 2.

According to my previous experience (Parallels 3 that also were not able to start using boot camp at least in the first releases), this post is absolutely useless as:
    * There will be no answer from the company
    * They absolutely don't care about their customer (I've an unanswered email since 8 July 2007).

Regards Jérôme

18. JeromeP

JeromeP Bit poster

After loosing once again a couple of hours on the problem I finally find what was going wrong with my installation of Parallels. The location of my installation. The neewby software engineers at parallels were not able to write a location independant software. You have to have the application as well as folder directly in your applications (/Applications) folder otherwise no chance to install a boot camp partition.

In order to know if your problemm is stemming from that take a look at the console (/Application/Utilites/Console) a search for a similar entry:

21.06.09 12:12:54 com.apple.launchd[303] (com.parallels.desktop.client.launch[310]) posix_spawnp("/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/PD_Starter.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app", ...): No such file or directory

Regards Jérôme

19. ruda

ruda Bit poster

That little terminal command worked for me perfectly- I could not create a virtual machine from my boot camp partition.

I tried several things and spent about 5 hours researching before I found this solution- thanks!

(macbook 2007, 4 gig ram, 500 gig HD with 200 gig NTFS boot camp partition, PD 4.0.3540)

20. Derek Johnston

Derek Johnston Bit poster

My first post...

I also have the error message " Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk. A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk."

The details of the error are: Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_READ_FAILED (0x80021029)
    Path: '/Users/derekjohnston/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02 (disk0).hdd'

This is on a brand new Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard and the very latest build of Parallels 5 (5.0.9310). I have also tried it on my iMac with the exact same result.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels several times, to no avail. No VM ever gets created in the Documents\Parallels folder, and the terminal rename solution responds with "No such file or directory".

I am using the 30-day trial of Parallels, and it will soon expire without me ever being able to give it a workout.

So - my question is, why should I stump up my cash for a product that won't even install due to a VERY well established and long standing problem?