Installing Parallels Tools in Ubuntu 8.10

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Derwinator, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Derwinator

Derwinator Junior Member

I'm lost - have successfully installed Ubuntu 8.10 in Parallels 4 build 3540 but cannot get Parallels Tools to install. After the Parallels Tools CD mounts to the desktop I open the terminal and enter "sudo sh /cdrom/parallels-tools.run" but it tells me that it can't open it. Can you help?

2. Yeolegood

Yeolegood Member

The following packages are necessary in order to install Parallels Tools in the VM running Ubuntu:
    linux-headers build-essential
    Install the packages 'linux-headers' and 'build-essential' using the following command in console:
    # sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
    After the packages are installed try to install Parallels Tools again.

3. Derwinator

Derwinator Junior Member

Nothing happens when I type the command "# sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential". It just immediately returns the prompt.

Thanks,
    Darren

4. nanomess

nanomess Bit poster

Um... this many sound silly, but you're not typing in the hash character are you?
    Do it like so...
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential

5. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

It seems that you are trying to install old Parallels Tools or execute old installation command!

1. Please check that you have mounted Tools CD using the following menu item "Virtual Machine -> Install Parallels Tools".
    2. Execute the following command: cd "<CD mount point>" && ./install

If you have any problem please attach /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log file to determine the exact issue.

6. Derwinator

Derwinator Junior Member

OK - the issue was mounting the CD image with the 'noexec' flag. I've finally copied the Parallel Tools install files to the Home directory and ran the install. Everything went smoothly and is running fine now.

Thanks,
    Darren

7. eli hernandez

eli hernandez Bit poster

"download" error...

Hi, I loaded the linux headers and build essentials, then mounted the CD from the Virtual Menu and copied the files to the home folder. When i sudo the install i get the following error message: "an error occured when downloading components for building parallesl tools kernel modules - kernel sources. install the components and try again." what do i do? many thanks - eli

8. Heter Nova

Heter Nova Bit poster

just open a shell$ sudo ./install

9. Heter Nova

Heter Nova Bit poster

hi,
    I just mounted cdrom, and than in a shell$ sudo ./install
    that's all.

10. eli hernandez

eli hernandez Bit poster

download error

the above worked... but new problem... after running the automatic OS updates it won't move past the splash when i boot... thanks...

11. Michael Overlin

Michael Overlin Bit poster

do i need to get the latest version of the tools ?

i'm running parallels 4.0 4.3.3810 jan 2009

host OS = os x 10.5

guest OS = ubuntu 8.10

the instructions for installing the tools don't match what i see on the CD. there is no "install" script on the CD.

there are installer.x86_32 and an installer.x86_64, and some other scripts ending in ".sh" which don't do anything useful when i try to run them.

i tried

cd /media/cdrom
    sudo ./installer.x86_32

it tells me i'm missing some things, lists "kernel, gcc, make"

i've already done

apt-get install build-essential
    apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.27-generic

the headers i installed matched uname -r

** do i need to get a new version of the tools ? my parallels was updated automatically from 3.0 by the updater
    ** maybe it didn't install the new tools version ?