installing parallel tools in Linux 8.10

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by palmfox, Nov 24, 2008.

1. palmfox

palmfox Bit poster

Hello

I am new to Linux and have been unable to install the Parallel Tools for Parallels 4.0 onto the Linux 8.10 guest system. I have mounted the CDROM image, and changed directory as the instructions told me to. I typed the command sudo sh install, and received the message back "install: 377: .installer/installer .x86_32 : Permission Denied."

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks for your assistance.

2. ando.rulez

ando.rulez Bit poster

Yes, i do have the same problem like yours. And parallels somehow parallels instruction to use noexec or something is not solving the problem.

So, to install it, copy all Parallels Tools in to your home directory using "cp -r". Then run as usual. It should be fine. Im using CentOS 5.2. And remember to install the requirements like :
    - glibc 2.3.4 and later;
    - libstdc++ 3.4.6 and later (libstdc++.so.6);
    - gcc 3.4.6 and later (including C++ support);
    - make 3.80;
    - X.org 6.7, 6.8, 6.8.99, 6.8, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 (1.3), 7.3 (1.4);
    - kernel sources or development package;

Or if still not working, maybe your SELinux is turn on. Turn SELinux off / disabled. Go to the Network setting in your linux distro.

Hope working... ;)

3. alsq

alsq Bit poster

I tried copying the tools to my home directory and that worked without being denied access. However the installation says it needs gcc and kernel source, which you had mentioned. How do I install these?

4. ando.rulez

ando.rulez Bit poster

I don't know about your distro. Is it Ubuntu Hardy Heron based? If so, maybe you can use this command : sudo apt-get install gcc. Or get in to add/remove application.

5. palmfox

palmfox Bit poster

It Worked!

Thanks ando.rulez! Your suggestion worked perfectly. I copied the entire Parallels Tools disk to a temp folder and ran the sudo sh install command. Parallel tools installed with no other hiccups. The only item now is that the system is telling me that I have some sort of "restricted drivers in use". I'm checking for updates to see if that message goes away.

Thanks again for your help.

Palmfox

6. ando.rulez

ando.rulez Bit poster

Glad to hear that :)

For restricted, you may ignore it. If Parallels tools works perfectly, like resolution changes as windows changes and mouse pointer are no longer need control+alt to change between windows, no need more hassle :p.

Ur welcome...

7. ando.rulez

ando.rulez Bit poster

Great! Glad to hear that.

If Parallels tools works fine, like : Linux can be window-resized or mouse pointer are seamlessly between Mac & Linux, don't worry about restricted drivers. May be it some sort of Proprietary kind of things. Hehehe...

Ando

8. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

alsq, what Linux do you use?

9. alsq

alsq Bit poster

I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.

10. ando.rulez

ando.rulez Bit poster

No wonder... you need to have license to update/install gcc from YUM. Otherwise, you need to install all over again, and install components needed. Install development tools also.

11. alsq

alsq Bit poster

I reinstalled RHEL 5 including the development package and this got gcc for me but I still could not install Parallel Tools because the kernel source is still missing. I haven't been able to find where to get this. Does anyone know where I can get this?

12. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Please check that you have got two kernel development packages (kernel-devel & kernel-headers) by executing the following command: yum list kernel*

If these packages are not installed please do it!

13. alsq

alsq Bit poster

I checked with the command you suggested and found that I have kernel-headers installed installed but not kernel-devel. When I executed the command "yum install kernel-devel" I got several lines of output which included the following:

This system is not registered with RHN
    No repositories available to set up
    Reading repository metadata from local files
    No match for argument: kernel-devel
    Nothing to do

and kernel-devel was not installed.

My subscription to the Red Hat Network expired last August since I wasn't using it much on my PC. But I want to install Linux with Parallel Tools on my new Mac and be able to access my Mac files from Linux. How can I get kernel-devel or install Parallel Tools without buying a one year subscription to the Red Hat Network?

14. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

There are several ways to solve your problem without buying subscription:

1. I think the easiest way is to find kernel-devel package on your installation CD and install it by hands using command like this: rpm -ivh kernel-devel-<version>-<arch>.rpm

2. Reinstall Linux using your installation CD with required development packages: gcc, make, kernel-headers and kernel-devel.

3. Install free version of RedHat Linux, e.g. Fedora.

15. alsq

alsq Bit poster

I found kernel-devel on the installation disk and installed is successfully. I could then install Parallel Tools and that is now working properly. Thanks for your help.