Parallels 4 linux improvements?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by tmalloy, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tmalloy

tmalloy Bit poster

I currently have Parralels Desktop 3 for Mac, and after looking on the "Why Upgrade" page for Parallels 4 I noticed that none of the enhancements mentioned linux aside from multi-core processing and iPhone remote control app. I know that the enhancements are probably there but that your marketing department saw no need to put them on the "Why Upgrade" data sheet, so is there a list somewhere?

2. exemega

exemega Bit poster

Beware!

I strongl advice to try the demo before upgrading,
    it seems th 2CPU-support and installation of Tools
    doesn't work with V4 and Linux.

V3 worked better, for me.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Could you please clarify, what Linux version you are using, in which tools are not installing?

4. tmalloy

tmalloy Bit poster

It doesn't matter what distro, let's just assume the best supported one. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "in which tools are not installing," however my question is not about an existing problem, but about new Linux-specific features in 4.0 that would give me incentives to upgrade. For example, with windows VMs you can now access USB devices in both the guest and host OS at the same time. What new features are available to Linux VMs?

Edit: Just now realized you were replying to exemega, sorry about that. Still would like my question answered though.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  5. exemega

exemega Bit poster

I am using Ubuntu 8.10.
    With tools installed and 2 CPUs on, Ubuntu freezes after a while.

Almost gave up on this...

6. dimsuz

dimsuz Bit poster

exemega,
    Did you send us problem report for this issue?
    If you didn't then, next time your Ubuntu will freeze, please use Help->Report a problem menu item.

7. tmalloy

tmalloy Bit poster

So with bad multi-core support we are at: not upgrading - 1, upgrading - 0. So far two parallels employees have posted here without giving me a single reason for buying 4.0...

8. tmalloy

tmalloy Bit poster

Reallly? Nothing? I guess I'm not upgrading then.

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

update was published , which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

10. tmalloy

tmalloy Bit poster

John@Parallels, did you really just once again completely ignore the topic of this thread as well as my two last posts? Why will you guys not answer my question?

11. tkubaska

tkubaska Bit poster

build 3540

Pardon me for jumping in ... but this thread is pertinent to me also. I have build 3540 and it sort of works. I am disappointed that I upgraded to 4.0 because it doesn't work as well as 3.0. With 3.0 Ubuntu (Hardy Heron) came up just fine but didn't shut down properly ... I would have to stop the virtual machine. With 4.0 it does appear to shut down properly but comes up in a strange unacceptable way. My login screen is the wrong resolution ... I have to scroll around the screen to get the username and password boxes. But when I log in the resolution is OK ... 1440x900 ... I have a MacBook Pro. So it's working but starts off in this extremely kluggie way and yes I have worked a bunch trying to right this. BTW it is essential to install Parallel Tools to get the right resolution. I've also screwed around with xorg.conf on my own but backed out what I did.

Unfortunately 3.0 and 4.0 do not exist simultaneously. I would have very much appreciated a back button ... you know ... here's 4.0 ... want to go back ... click here. I would have clicked. And I may yet try to re-install 3.0.

If anyone has advice on how I can fix my problem, I would appreciate it.
    -ted

-ted

12. mbelov

mbelov Bit poster

tmalloy,
    Part of the bundled software is windows only, other features work in both Windows and Linux guests.
    exemega, tkubaska, please create tickets at https://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/ and describe the problems there, we will check it.

13. tkubaska

tkubaska Bit poster

have to set the video memory high enough and low enough

My login screen resolution is better now ... somewhere on this forum I read the suggestion that I adjust the video memory.

I used 4MB. Too little and I cannot fill my screen ... too much and I have to scroll the login screen, although it is fine when I log in. I guess this is the Goldilocks solution.

I have a Mac Book Pro with 1440x900 and 4GB of memory running Leopard 10.5.5. The display is NVIDIA with 512MB VRAM.

I also disabled Smart Mount but I dont know if that is relevant yet. Some other post suggested it.

So my Parallels 4.0 is now doing better than my 3.0, but it was painful getting here. If there isn't a KB article on configuring Linux (I'm using Ubuntu Hardy) with Parallels, there should be; and if there is, it needs to be highlighted more.

Back in the days when Parallel tools for Linux did not come up with Ubuntu, it was still possible to get the resolution right, but it involved hacking xorg.conf and using Ubuntu's failsafe terminal. This was fixed with build 5624 for me. So there is definitely progress in the right direction ... but there's still more distance to travel on that road.

-ted

14. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Hello, tkubaska.

Please insert the following lines (Modes from Display subsection) into the "xorg.conf" file:
    ---
    Section "Screen"
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1440x900"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    ---

And the next booting up process will be performed with "1440x900" screen resolution!

15. tmalloy

tmalloy Bit poster

@mbelov, my question is about specific linux improvements in parallels 4.

16. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Some guest advantages in PD 4:
    * 64-bit guest Linux support;
    * Modern guest OS support, e.g. Ubuntu 8.04, Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 9, Fedora 10, OpenSUSE 11.0
    * Shared Folders for Linux

17. tmalloy

tmalloy Bit poster

Thank you very much for your reply, disciple.