Ununtu 8.10 Video

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by prioret, Oct 30, 2008.

1. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Now Video driver for X.Org 1.5.x is available in Parallels Tools for Parallels Desktop 4 only!
    And the official position about Parallels Desktop 3 is announced in Leto's comment...

2. richie_edinburgh

richie_edinburgh Bit poster

Xorg 1.5 was first used in Ubuntu in April 2008 - seven months before PD4 came out. At the start of November, John@parallels said "As I told we are working on Parallels Tools for Ubuntu 8.10 in PD3".

As far as I can see, the official position outlined in Leto's post is that, now PD4 is out, PD3 users won't be recieving any more active support, in terms of updated drivers etc, despite what had been said previously.

I was a beta tester on Parallels Workstation and have dutifully bought every upgrade since. While I appreciate a lot of work has gone into new features for PD4 (multi-core support and performance enhancements etc) I'm beginning to resent being forced to upgrade once again in order to maintain basic functionality.

And even if I upgraded today, experience suggests there would be another long, frustrating wait when the next version of Ubuntu comes out in 2009. Maybe you've already starting working on that one so you can sell us PD5?

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that you should offer better long-term support for basic driver compatibility (video, sound, network etc) and push upgrades on the basis of genuinely new features.

3. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

richie_edinburgh, as I know Parallels Desktop 3 users will have support as far as they are, but i think there could be limitations in supported guest OSes. I am sorry about it.
    At the same time i think this could be a good lesson for us to do not repeat it again in future ;)

4. richie_edinburgh

richie_edinburgh Bit poster

Thanks for your help.