RealTek drivers produce garbled audio

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Clocknova, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

I've tried using the audio drivers that come with Parallels 4, and I've tried downloading new ones, but the results are always the same: all audio produced buy the VM is garbled and stutters horribly. I've even tried using the drivers included with Boot Camp, but they won't install at all. I'm running on an early 2008 MBP with OS 10.5.5. I've assigned 2 GB RAM to my VM, as well as both cores of my C2D.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

Isn't anyone else having this problem?

I've tried installing every version of every audio driver I can find, including drivers that others have claimed solved their audio problems. Still no luck. The sound is a mess. What is going on here? Can't anyone help?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. eread

eread Member

Well, the XP (and Fedora 9) start up sounds are appalling. I figured that it was the massive CPU load I get when starting the OSes and haven't looked into it more than that.

I am hoping, once they get the CPU load down, the sound will fix itself.

4. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

I don't think its processor usage. It worked fine in Parallels 3. Why don't the Apple Bootcamp drivers install in Parallels? They are clearly the correct drivers for the hardware in the MacBook Pro.

5. aaronlyon

aaronlyon Junior Member

Agree: garbled, stuttering audio

I just upgraded to Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0, and I also hear badly degraded audio, both from QuickTime Player and Flash audio in Internet Explorer. I'm using a Mac Pro quad-processor 2.6GHz, and Windows XP. I tried changing some of the settings...I increased memory from 512K to 1024K, incresed the video RAM to max, changed "Adaptive Hyperthreading", etc...no change in audio.

6. eread

eread Member

It may be that Parallels directly passes audio calls directly to the hardware, but probably not.

It will be emulating the hardware so you need the drivers (realtek) for emulated hardware, not the real hardware (which will differ across different models)

7. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Windows (Xp/Vista) has standard AC97 audio drivers inside it. You do not need to install third party drivers in guest OS.

8. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

When I first installed Windows into Parallels, there was no audio at all.

9. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

Still no luck getting anything but garbled audio out of Parallels 4. Anyone have any more ideas or sugestions?

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Update was published , which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

11. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

Updated to the latest build. No change in audio status. Still garbled.

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

How many applications are running at the same time on Mac and Windows?

13. Wesleylol

Wesleylol Bit poster

Audio Problems with Vista ultimate and P4

I have the same problem, I've been following your saga since this weekend and I've arrived at the same dead end. The strange thing with p4 is that I install both win XP and Vista. Everything works excellent with XP (including audio), but for some reason I can't get the audio to work with vista. I have a new macbook pro 2.53Gz, 4Gb memory, 320HD etc

So far I've done everything suggested by the parallel team: install new build, try useing device manger, etc,
    I've even tried install the AC97 drives on my own. So do you guys have any new ideas, I'm willing to try.

PS. Just for fun I bought the new VM fusion 2.0, Everything works fine for vista (including audio). But here is the problem parallel 4 is way cooler and much, much faster. So guys I would really love to get parallel up and running. Thanks

14. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

The only application running is Parallels.

15. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

16. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

That's one of the very first things I tried.

17. alainderbez

alainderbez Bit poster

Audio drop outs with CPU usage over 55%

Hi, I'm having trouble getting audio to play without stuttering, clicking or pausing for a fraction of a second.

I'm running a macbook pro dual 2.4Ghz with 2GM of ram allocated to Parallels (4 gigs total ram on machine). At first I thought it was an issue with the software I'm running-- Wavelab. It's an advanced audio mastering program. I noticed that when I play audio and zoom in to see the waveform, the audio would play fine for a few seconds, but then the audio always started cutting out & plays with clicks etc. I have no other programs running, but I do have Menumeters running in the BG, and it tells me that when I zoom out of the waveform, I'm using about 35% of cpu power on both processors. As soon as I zoom in, I start using about 55% or more. I guess cause it's calculating & re-drawing the waveform? BTW, the audio file is a 16bit 44.1 wav file, and it's playing out the MPB's headphone out.

To find out if it was the software or not, I closed it down and opened another 16bit 44.1 wav file in windows media player. Same thing. It would play fine, but with the visualizer turned on and it taking up more cpu power, the audio started to sound glitchy again.

I bought Parallels (and the macbook pro) specifically to be able to use wavelab on it-- it's PC only-- so any assistance in getting me up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alain.

18. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

Good day everyone,

Garbled sound might have been caused by a faulty Parallels Tools installation. Please do the following:

-start your Virtual Machine, go to Start => Control Panel => Programs and features. Locate the Parallels Tools entry and uninstall it;

-shut down your VM, go to the Configuration Editor (Virtual Machine => Configure);

-go to CD/DVD-ROM 1. select the 'use image file' radiobutton. click 'Choose'. go to /Library/Parallels/Tools and open the 'prl-tools-win.iso' file. click 'Ok'. start your Virtual Machine;

-wait for Windows to boot completely. cancel any 'found new hardware' menus that pop up. go to Start => My Computer, right-click on the cd-rom icon (it should display the Parallels Tools logo) and select Autorun.

This should do it. If the issue persists you may wish to consider creating tickets in our system. You can do it here: http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/

19. alainderbez

alainderbez Bit poster

Hi mondromarch,

I did as you suggested. Unfortunately it didn't help the issue. Not only that, but now I get a message on startup from Program Manager saying:

\\.psf/Home\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

I'll create a ticket as you suggested.

20. roumas

roumas Bit poster

Howdy
    I had garbled audio which I mistakenly thought was a Sirius streaming only problem. After determining this was a general issue, I found this thread and following the instructions above removed and reinstalled tools.
    No luck.
    Another mentions audio problems related to CPU utilization. I tried suspending BOINC, and that seems to fix the garbled audio. Problem is, Seti@Home is no longer benefiting from my spare CPU availability!
    Is this something you guys can work on resolving?
    Thanks