no video in pd4 3540

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by patimages, Nov 29, 2008.

1. patimages

patimages Member

Hi,

I just tried watching an avi movie using vlc and while the sound plays, the screen remains black. The acceleration is full in xp and the video settings of pd4 have 3d acceleration, 128MB of memory. Am I missing something ? Heard of overlay maybe but does not not whether or how it applies...

Many thanks for any help !

Update: it does works now but only in coherence view, not windowed nor full screen view... (the latter would obviously be my preferred mode to watch)... and I cannot play the movie full screen (from vlc) in coherence mode or it hangs...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Make sure that you have the latest codecs, for example you can download a fresh codecpack here

3. patimages

patimages Member

Please read carefully: it does work, meaning that it is not a codec issue. It does work only in coherence view, not windowed nor full screen view... The issue is therefore not codec-related, but PD4-related.

4. owenmsn@gmail.com

owenmsn@gmail.com Bit poster

Same problem

VM: Windows 2000 sp4 -> fully patched

Upgraded the VM from p3, where VLC, Windows Media Player etc.. worked fine.. all codecs installed

Now, under p4, anytime I play a video file, I hear the audio, the video window is correctly sized, but filled with black pixels only. Under Full Screen, or Windowed this is the behavior. When in coherence mode (and the video is not run full screen), the video plays properly.

Owen

5. patimages

patimages Member

Nice to see that i am not alone. Also, you prove that this is not windows/codec related (xp and 2000 have the problem)... Lets see how fast we may get some support... None in 2 days so far (ticket id 18026)...

6. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

Hello patimages and owenmsn@gmail.com,

Would you kindly create tickets in our system? You can submit one here: http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/ I would also ask you to send us an error report - open some video file so that the black window is displayed, go to Help => Report a problem (in the Parallels Desktop toolbar), check the 'include screenshot' checkbox, enter a contact name and e-mail and send the report our way. You will be provided with a unique report ID number - please provide it along with the problem description, so that we may investigate the issue.

7. patimages

patimages Member

ticket submitted an error report 18063 sent while running the black screen. Never got any answer to any error report so far, hope that changes!

8. patimages

patimages Member

#630514 would be the ticket number.

9. owenmsn@gmail.com

owenmsn@gmail.com Bit poster

submitted problem report #18069

10. shawnf

shawnf Junior Member

No video in Hava or Media Player under Vista either

Just to let you know I have the same problem under Vista running from a Boot Camp partition.
    I don't get any video in Vista 32 playing back some .WMVs in Media Player, just get sound.
    I get the same problem in the Hava PC player (like Slingbox if you don't know it).

Everything is fine if I boot via Boot Camp.

This on a new Macbook Air (128GB SSD) with NVidia chipset and it is an upgrade from Parallels 3 to P4.

I have reported the HavaPC issue, but only spotted the Media Player problem today when someone emailed my a .WMV file.

11. shawnf

shawnf Junior Member

Turning off DirectDraw fixes it - display driver problem

I have found that if I go to the display properties in Vista and then go to the troubleshoot tab, I can change the hardware acceleration tab to turn off DirectDraw.
    After rebooting with these settings I get video playback in both Media Player and the Hava PC Player.

So it looks like a DirectDraw bug in the Parallels 4 display driver when running on my v2 Macbook Air (NVidia chipset).
    This is running from a Boot Camp partition.

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I submitted case to developers

13. FengR

FengR Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. I tried what shawnf said by turning off DirectDraw, and the video shows, so it does seem like a DirecDraw bug. Has this bug been fixed? It's very annoying... Thanks!