Logitech scroll wheel support

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by closethipster, Aug 6, 2007.

1. closethipster

closethipster Junior Member

There is an archived thread about this -- about using the scroll wheel on a Logitech mouse with Parallels. The first scroll works fine but then the guest OS loses focus, the cursor changes to a Mac cursor, and the scroll wheel will not work again until you move the mouse and guest OS regains focus.

The solution in the archived thread is to buy some shareware mouse software and do a command line hack but I don't feel like throwing a hack at the problem so I think I'll just buy a new mouse.

Can anyone confirm this is not a problem with Apple's Mighty Mouse? The two-finger scroll on my MacBook Pro's touchpad works fine so I'm guessing the problem is with the Logitech Control Center (version 2.2.2, and Parallels build 3214). But if others can confirm this I'd appreciate it.

2. esgargs

esgargs Member

No problem with the mighty mouse here. Scrolling works just fine in Parallels, except that I cannot scroll horizontally.

3. closethipster

Great; thank you. Now I know what to buy on our tax-free weekend. :)

4. closethipster

I just wanted to close this thread by saying I swapped my Logitech for an Apple Mighty Mouse and uninstalled the Logitech Control Center... about two weeks ago now. Solved my problem.

5. Robster

Robster Hunter

Funny, I have a Logitech mouse and the scroll wheel works fine for me.

But then I NEVER installed the Logitech drivers.

I use Steermouse now for some additional functionality but before this just used it without drivers and it worked fine!

Robin

6. garyb

garyb Bit poster

This is the reason I signed up for an account here... Using a Logitech MX510 with the LCC and I noticed that if I MOVE the mouse while scrolling, my guest Windows seems to keep focus, but if I keep the cursor completely stationary and scroll, my Mac steals focus. Argh. I'm gonna go check that archived thread now to see if it fixes. I need to use my other buttons and I refuse to pay for something as easy as configuring mouse buttons. Maybe I'm cheap, but come on it's like a $60 mouse, make it work Logitech. Anyway, glad I found this thread, thanks.

Edit: I think I've found a solution with using Logitech Control Center (LCC) and a Win XP Parallels Guest OS! In LCC simply set your scroll speed in the middle, and scroll acceleration to Max. Worked for me! Woohoo! Like so:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I hate the Migthy Mouse
    it gave me a mighty pain in my big hand
    I took it back and got a refund

MS a Optical Mouse
    with neither ball nor battery is very light
    and fits my big hand best

Hugh W

8. cody121

cody121 Bit poster

In LCC I set my scroll speed in the middle, and scroll acceleration to Max. like in your picture but I was not as fortunate as you, and it had no effect for me. :(

I have an LX3

9. JesseS80

JesseS80 Bit poster

This is the exact issue I"m having in PD4...

before upgrading, everything was working great but right after the upgrade, I'm experiencing this bug. I tried the settings in the LCC and that didn't help. Anyone have any better solutions? The support team is giving me the run around right now.

UPDATE: I can't believe it--this is exactly the problem I'm having and I can't understand how it could have been fixed and then broken again. I wish the post about setting the speed worked for me, I've tried it a couple ways and gotten nothing.

UPDATE2: I found my solution, I upgraded to 2.6 of the Logitech control center. After upgrading, I no longer loose focus while scrolling in my XP window. I'll need to test across a reboot of the mac to be sure but so far it looks like it was just a matter of upgrade my Logitech stuff...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  10. cody121

cody121 Bit poster

2.6 huh? hmmm...

When I click on configure, it opens device manager, and then I go to About Device manager, and it shows I have 2.6.0 installed. Is that the same version you have? Last time I checked their website, 2.6.0 was the latest.

If it works for you, maybe a preference is hosed from an update or something, or maybe it is just configured differently.

Do you have any non-default settings set in your device manager?

11. JesseS80

JesseS80 Bit poster

Mine is also 2.6.0, I have what I think are default settings--I have scroll speed in the middle and I have acceleration turned off (b/c I hate that feature). Are you having the same issue with loss of focus described where as soon as you scroll the cursor goes from the white windows one to the black mac one? I also haven't tried a full uninstall then re-install. I used the in-software update feature to get the latest LCC.

UPDATE: OK, I was TOTALLY WRONG. It wasn't the drivers that fixed my issue--it is still broken. It was the process of updating them that caused my mac to unload the Logitech drivers and use the default mac drivers. The default drivers, as are mentioned in the archived thread work fine. After rebooting to verify that the Logitech drivers were active, the problem returned. At this point, I'm not sure where to lay the blame, is this Parallels or Logitech? All I know is that it worked in PD3 and now it doesn't so they both probably share the blame. Parallels for changing how they handle the "window" mode and Logitech for not honoring the active window property. sorry for all the confusion I've caused. It is in fact still broken.

UPDATE 2: I've submitted a bug to Logitech, let's see what their customer support says. Maybe someone in one of theses companies will care enough to fix the issue.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  12. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

Hello all,

We put the request forward to our developers and we will update you as soon as we get a response from them.

13. JesseS80

JesseS80 Bit poster

Any update from the developers? Logitech support is giving me the run around.

14. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

15. JesseS80

JesseS80 Bit poster

Max, Thanks for posting that--but all that article does is confirm what I've already written about in Post #11 -- that removing the Logitech drivers fixes the problem. The problem is that when I remove the logitech drivers, I loose the functions of the other 6 buttons on my mouse--not a very good solution. I don't think that your kb article, 5853, really solves anything--it just disables the mouse buttons in OSX and makes scrolling work in Parallels. Please fix your product to work with the Logitech drivers like PD3 did. Thank you.