Palm Hotsync- USB device problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoshSpurlock, Nov 21, 2008.

1. JoshSpurlock

JoshSpurlock Junior Member

Had no problems syncing my Palm TX under 3.0, had some problems getting the device recognized under first build of 4.0, can't get it to work at all under latest build 3540.

Parallels gets stuck in this cycle of loading the device, dropping it, loading it, dropping it, and each time giving me a message about how it will automatically recognize it next time. This cycle happen about every 5-8 seconds until I unplug the device.

Hope we can get a fix to this quick, some of us have jobs where we actually need our software to work in order to get our jobs done. Not happy with all the bugs. Thinking these should have been better worked out in the Beta, not with people who need the software to work when the buy it.

Any known help/solution for this problem?

2. larrylynch

larrylynch Bit poster

Same here, Josh, with a slightly different twist. Can't get Parallels to recognize Palm Treo 700p to even start the synchronization process.

3. larrylynch

larrylynch Bit poster

Same here, Josh, with a slightly different twist. Can't get Parallels to recognize Palm Treo 700p to even start the synchronization process. Tried re-installing Palm, still no go.

4. JoshSpurlock

5. larrylynch

larrylynch Bit poster

After two days of frustration I pulled the plug on Parallels Desktop 4 and reverted to version 3 where my Treo 700P was immediately recognized and synchronization was painless. In the future I'll spend more time researching before I try to "upgrade".

6. JoshSpurlock

How was it

Hey Larry, I'm thinking I may have to do the same thing "revert back to 3.0". What was the process and how difficult was it? Was it successful, in the sense that your system is exactly the way it was before you tried upgrading to 4.0?

7. larrylynch

larrylynch Bit poster

Josh,

I used Uninstall on the 4.0 disk then did a search for Parallels and deleted anything else. Then I installed 3.0 from scratch. I updated 3.0 before I added my programs. So far, all seems well. I asked tech support to contact me when there's a fix, but I'll check back here.

8. Tarobap

Tarobap Bit poster

Anybody hear anything about this? I just loaded Vista on build 3540 and I can't get my Treo 700P to sync. The Bluetooth worked under 3.0!!! I'll be happy with the USB cable working...anything to sync. This has become a scheduling nightmare.

9. dkossman

dkossman Junior Member

similar problem - can't sync palm after 4.0 upgrade

After the 4.0 upgrade (build 3540), i'm unable to sync my Palm. i get a Parallels window telling me to "Stop the Palm synchronization and start it again" and to click cancel on the device. I also get a Windows notification indicating a problem with the USB device. if i cancel and try again, exactly the same issue happens. if i click on the Windows notification, it shows me a subset of the windows device manager tree, showing the USB Root Hub, with two devices- an Unknown Device, and the Palm Handheld. If i click on the unknown device, it tells me the device is not connected to the computer...

i sent an email to parallels tech support but have not yet heard back.

if anyone has experienced this and found a solution, please let me know!! Palm Desktop and Quicken are the only reason I need Parallels... given the pain of the 4.0 upgrade i really don't want to roll back. Plus 4.0 is nicer/faster... (though it has crashed once with a Fatal Error)

- Don

10. larrylynch

larrylynch Bit poster

When they do reply they'll tell you to re-install the latest version (3540) and that won't do any good, either. I'd just like for a tech to say, "Hey, we've got a problem, we know about it, and we're working on it."

11. aherskowitz

aherskowitz Bit poster

I wanted to add to this thread so that Parallels has some additional information about my experience with my MacBook Pro, Parallels 4 and my Treo 700p synching (well, not synching) to Outlook 2007.

I had been running Parallels 3 with my Boot Camp partition (what a bad idea in hindsight) on my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4 for over a year and it worked great - hardly ever a crash. I'd been wanting to go to Leopard for a while, and my XP instance finally went south due to some conflicting VPN software and another mistake of trying to upgrade to a Palm Centro (actually, the upgrade went fine, but I didn't like the Centro as much as my 700p so I decided to revert back to the 700p and that is when the real problem started - I couldn't get the 700p to synch anymore probably because of the newer Palm software that the Centro needed). After several hours of effort to undo whatever the new Palm desktop/hotsynch mgr did, I decided to take the plunge and do a full reformat and install of everything on my MacBook Pro.

1. Of course I backed everything up first :)
    2. I repartitioned my entire drive to OS 10.5 (got rid of Boot Camp partition - yeah!)
    3. Upgraded to 10.5.5 via Software Update with all other updates as well.
    4. Installed Parallels 4 (3540) which went perfect.
    5. Copied over a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3 from my Mac Mini that I had done with Parallels 3 in preparation for this rebuild. The XP instance had nothing installed at all, except for the most recent Windows updates.
    6. Parallels converted it without any problems at all (had to do the manual tools install) and I was really looking forward to all of the new features 4.0 offered.
    7. I installed Office 2007 Enterprise along with the updates from Microsoft Update
    8. Installed the Palm Desktop software from Palm's website (4.1.4E) and not my Verizon CD (4.2). My thought was that the 4.1.4E was more recent despite the version number differences and so it would play better with XP SP3.
    9. I told the install that I wanted to sync with Outlook and skipped the initial hotsynch because you have to install the Outlook 2007 conduit first. This might have caused a problem, but I don't think so.
    10. Installed the Outlook 2007 Update for Palm OS Devices (http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/outlook2007/outlook2007update.html)
    11. Hard reset the Treo 700p.
    12. Connected the Treo to my MacBook Pro with Parallels running ran into the same issues as dkossman described above.

Has anyone tried this on Parallels 4 with a build other than 3540?

Thanks for any help. I may be going back to Parallels 3 tomorrow.
    Aa

12. mfreidel

mfreidel Member

Same problem with Vista and Palm Desktop 6.2 for Centro

I have the same problem with Vista Business and a Palm Centro running Palm Desktop/Access 6.2 for Vista. Worked great in version 3. Had to remove v4 and reinstall v3 - runs great again. I have 2 trouble tickets in as they thought they fixed it and closed my first one. Nothing new yet from the developers.

13. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

When connecting device to virtual machine submit problem report from Help - Report Problem
    Post here ID and exact model of device

14. mfreidel

mfreidel Member

Unfortunately, this has been such a problem that I've had to remove v4 and go back to v3 build 5620 so can't get the report generated. It is a Palm Centro which uses a version of Palm Desktop called Access in Vista. It is Palm's version 6.2. The Centro is a Sprint phone/PDA.

15. mfreidel

mfreidel Member

I have tried to hotsync a Palm Centro on Vista Business in all builds for v4 and have had the same problem. Had to go back to v3.

16. mab009

mab009 Bit poster

Parallels 4.0 and treo 700p hotsync problems with macbook pro

I sent the error report as requested. My problem is very similar to those described in this thread. I think my error report ID was 19550, maybe you can search for it by topic.

Thanks for prompt attention to the problem.

17. alpenmic

alpenmic Bit poster

I am using an HP IPAQ. The system sychs the first time, but if there is a large file, it will hang. Furthermore, after a period of time it will disconnect and cannot be reconnected. Unless Windows is successfully shut down rather quickly (and sometimes that is not always possible as it may hang at the point of "windows is shutting down") and restarted, after a period of time the Mac will freeze up completely. The only option is to power cycle the computer.

I purchased 4.0.3522 as the upgrade and did not have the problem. It was only with the upgrade to 4.0.3540 that the trouble manifested itself.

So far, product supports suggestion was to completely remove the USB controllers from Windows, shut down, remove USB from Parallels, restart windows, shut down then reinstall USB controllers. This did not help.

18. John@Parallels

Connect device to Virtual machine and perform the same operation, when device fails to connect submit Reprot from Parallels Desktop - Help, and post ID here,

19. dkossman

dkossman Junior Member

Sounds like they're working on it...

fyi, just got this back from Parallels support (they had asked me to send them a bunch of diagnostics, which I did):

==========
    Thank you for the information provided.
    Our developers are already working on the issue.
    Meanwhile, try to renew drivers:

1) go to Windows Device manager while device is connected
    2) select "Update Driver" for the Palm

Please, monitor this forum thread:
    http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/27893.htm
    and our website for the update. We will also inform you when there is any solution.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will do our best to get it fixed.
    Thank You,
    =========

The "thread" above is actually the section of the user's manual that describes how the palm usb setup *should* work.
    When i try to renew the driver for the Palm in WinXP, it tells me there is nothing more recent (which i know is true).

I'm trying to avoid a rollback to 3.0, but (sorry to wander off-topic) I'm also seeing some strange behaviour with the "hide windows taskbar" functionality in Coherence mode - when in this mode, and i launch apps from the Mac doc, they start but sometimes don't appear on the desktop. (specifically Palm Desktop and Quicken 2006). I'd seen this behavior in 3.0 and hoped it was fixed...

-- Don

20. John@Parallels

Ok, then, we will continue in ticket