Low screen resolution after installation of Parallels Tools (Kubuntu 8.10)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by hyperionyx, Dec 1, 2008.

1. hyperionyx

hyperionyx Bit poster

Hi,

i run Parallels Desktop 4 Build 3522 and installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my Macbook (10.5.5, 4GB Ram). Because the installer only assigns 3MB graphics memory, i had to shut down the VM and change the configuration in Parallels to 128MB graphics memory. After starting the VM with my external 24'' Samsung 245B plus monitor, Kubuntu detected the panel and changed the screen resolution to 1900x1200.

Then I decided to install the Parallels Tools...

Now I have a very limited amount of colors displayed and the maximum screen resolution is 1280x1024. Assigning 256MB (max.) via Parallels configuration does not change anything.

I tried to remove the Parallels Tools, but afterwards I had no mouse and keyboard in my VM and had to reinstall. Is there a way to have both, a decend screen resolution and the Parallels Tools, or do I have to choose between them?

Kind regards,
    Thomas

2. hyperionyx

hyperionyx Bit poster

I just tried the Kubuntu 8.04.1 Parallels Virtual Appliance. Same effect. After installation of the Parallels Tools, the display resolution (was 1900x1200 auto, 128MB) changes and i am unable to select 1900x1200.

3. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Hello hyperionyx.

After installing Parallels Tools the default screen resolution sets to 1280x1024, but you have got such technology as Dynamic Resolution, i.e. you can resize the VM window and screen resolution will be adjusted to new window. Also if you go to full screen mode screen resolution will be set to maximum your Macbook supports.

Please be informed that resolution is changed to new one if size of video memory is enough to support it, e.g. 16 MB is quite enough to support 1900x1200.

4. hyperionyx

hyperionyx Bit poster

Thank you very much for the hint to the Dynamic Resolution feature. It is working as described ;) I was irritated by the fact, that i was unable to select resolutions above 1280x1024 in the Kubuntu preferences. Full screen display works also, last time I tried it, I must have forgotten to increase video ram in the Parallels configuration editor.

Bottom line: Everything is working fine, I assigned 32MB of video ram to the VM and the screen resolution adapts automatically, no tinkering of Xorg configuration files neccessary.

5. Peter Worcester

Peter Worcester Bit poster

So I installed Parallels Tools on Kubuntu 8.10 and it did update my xorg.conf file to 1280x800, I then hand editted it to 1900x1200 (Macbook Pro 17" new one)
    I was NOT able to get the dynamic resolution thing working though, is there something I have to activate to get that feature, If I expanded the screen all I got was a larger window but the desktop was the same.

Advice anyone ?
    TIA,
    Peter

6. Patricia Warwick

Patricia Warwick Bit poster

I have the same problem. I have increased the video memory to 24M which should be adequate but I cannot change the screen resolution to 1920 by 1200. What is Dynamic Resolution?

7. Richard Bekhuis

Richard Bekhuis Bit poster

Hello,

I do also have this problem, however, I am not able to resize the memory, it's light grey and doesn't move.
    Also I do not understand anything about those commands at all. Is there not a more easy way?

Regards,

8. Patricia Warwick

Patricia Warwick Bit poster

Can't say for sure but in my case I had to Stop the VM before I could change the video memory.