Ubuntu 8.10 on PDM3 5626

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Specimen, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Ubuntu 8.10 on PDM3 5626 [BUG]

Ok, I already know Parallels Tools won't install on 8.10 yet, but I would at least expect the installation and running the VM to work normally without PTools, but no.

After upgrading from 5624 and restarting my mac and checking that the .kexts were updated I started a Ubuntu 8.10 installation, when ubuntu starts copying/installing the files to the hd Parallels crashes. Deleted the machine started over, crashed when copying the files again, this time I didn't delete the machine or .hdd after, and restarted the installation of Ubuntu, now the installation went well.
    But, unfortunately, the machine never manages to shutdowns by itself, it always gets to the ubuntu shutdown screen but I have to shutdown manually from the shutdown button in Parallels making the file system dirty.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. neilplatform1

neilplatform1 Bit poster

Linux support

I've been disappointed with the timeliness of parallels linux tools, which pretty much makes it a diversion for me rather than a serious product. I won't be upgrading yet.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Also, I forgot to say, the CPU stays at 100% during the shutdown process that never terminates. :(

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Gone back to 5624 and I was able to install Ubuntu 8.10 without crashing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In 5624 Ubuntu 8.10 still doesn't shutdown properly :(

6. Miriup

Miriup Junior Member

I have the same problem, but when I disable the splash screen to see the boot messages, the system indicates that it shuts down properly. I never see any recovery messages during bootup.

Splash image can be disabled by putting "nosplash" in the kernel command line.

7. Saiing

Saiing Junior Member

I have the same problem - crashes every time, except I couldn't get it to restart like you did.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Try using PDM3 build 5626 (search the forums for 5626).