Does 4.0 have a way to adjust the HDD size?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pbbestmed, Dec 2, 2008.

1. pbbestmed

pbbestmed Junior Member

When I originally installed Parallels two years ago I went over board on the amount of Hard Drive space I allocated for it. I was under the impression that this number could not be changed without losing everything I have already in there. I can't afford to lose the data I already have and I don't have my copy of Windows anymore so a re-install is out of the question. Is there anyway to just go in and give back some of the HDD space to my Mac?

2. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,
    sure, there is Parallels Image Tool. Convert your .hdd into an expandable virtual disk, defragment it and compress/compact it. Please check your user guide for more information on these features.

Also, it is always a good idea to backup your .hdd virtual disk before doing anything of the above.

3. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

See:
    Can't expand hdd size (V4) thread.

Note the response I got and my response to that.

4. pbbestmed

pbbestmed Junior Member

Ok, I reviewed your thread but that it to expand the HDD space. Will it work if I try to reduce the HDD space for Parallels and give it back to my Mac?

5. Yeolegood

Yeolegood Member

Hello,

Disk Compacting Tool cleans up the unused disk space on expanding virtual hard disks and cuts off the cleaned free space thus reducing the sizes of virtual hard disk image files in Mac OS X. We recommend that you use Disk Compacting Tool on your virtual machines from time to time to save space on the host hard disk. For more information refer to the Compacting Virtual Disk (page 244).
    - Parallels Compressor deletes temporary and unnecessary files, empties the Recycle Bin, performs disk defragmenting and disk compacting. Options can be selected. For details on Parallels Compressor, see the Using Parallels Compressor (page 246).