PD4 - Eject CD opens and instantly closes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ajcooper, Nov 15, 2008.

1. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

When the DVD drive is attached to Parallels 4.0, I press Eject and the disk ejects but immediately closes again. I'm having to disconnect the drive, eject the disk and then reconnect to Parallels in order to get disk out. This didn't happen in PD3 - any ideas?

2. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Same for me.

Anyone any suggestions?

3. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Since there are no other replies to this annoying problem, it seems it may not be very widespread.

Could someone with a Mac Pro please and PD 4 please confirm that the eject button behaves completely normally and correctly?

Thanks

Mike

4. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

did you try ejecting from inside the virtual machine: right-click on drive in Explorer and select "Eject"?

5. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks.

Yes, that works, as does the other workaround of disconnecting the drive from Parallels and using the eject key from OSX.

I am really hoping to find out why my eject button on my Mac Pro does not behave as it did with Parallels 3. Eject key works properly in Parallels 4 on my MacBook Pro.

Does your eject key work correctly in 4 ?

6. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

Yes. Bloody annoying problem to have. Although not quite as annoying as my VM's not resuming, but thats another story....

7. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, everyone,

Would you please specify what kind of CD/DVD-rom you are using - external or in-build, native Apple or third-party

The best way is to copy the information from System Profile: Applications --> Utilities --> System Profiler (from the CD/DVD-rom device description)

8. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

My built-in upper slot writer is (pasted from system profiler):

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D:

Firmware Revision: 1.24
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2000 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

It says "Apple shipping drive" but was actually purchased later.

In case it is relevant, in the lower slot I have a LG Blu Ray burner (GGW-H20L) connected to one of the the motherboard SATA connectors. Of course Parallels doesn't see this.

Thanks for any help.

9. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

to Mike Boreham:
    thank you for the information about the CD/DVD-rom

to everyone: the incorrect CD/DVD-rom behaviour described as well as the problem with CD/DVD-rom tray not opening is fixed in the future Parallels Desktop patches.
    Please, follow the anouncements here, on Forum, and on Parallels official site.

Thank you.

10. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks very much