Error copying (or cloning) VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Todd Hulin, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Todd Hulin

Todd Hulin Bit poster

I want to clone or copy a VM, but get errors every which way I try. Attempting to clone the VM crashes my system (10.5.5), while simply copying the VM gets:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in winxp.1.hdd could not be read or written. Error code -36."

Any ideas? I want to backup my VM before trying PD 4. I've tried repairing permissions, and even hooking up my iMac in target disk mode to another leopard mac to make the copy—but nothing works.

Thanks,
    - Todd

2. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Dear Todd Hulin,

Have you tried to copy the whole virtual machine folder or the .hdd file only? If you copy just the ,hdd file it will be enough to recreate your machine in both PD3 and PD4.

3. Todd Hulin

Todd Hulin Bit poster

I've tried both, no luck. Even tried to go into the .hdd file and copy the .hds file there, but it wouldn't go either.

4. Anna Pichueva

Are you getting the same error message in all cases? And by the way do you have the correct permissions to this folder?

5. Todd Hulin

Todd Hulin Bit poster

Yeah, the same error every which way I try to copy the file. And I do have permissions for that folder.

6. Anna Pichueva

Are you copying it to the external storage? Or the error takes place regardless the place you copy to?

7. Todd Hulin

Todd Hulin Bit poster

Regardless of where I copy it—I've tried different drives, the same drive, nothing. I get that error msg every which way I try to copy it.

8. raka

raka Junior Member

Hi.

I have the same Problem. Can't copy a WindowsXP VM to another Drive (Error -36). But i can copy a Linux VM with no errors!?

9. macguy

macguy Member

Insufficient Privileges to Complete Copy

I copied a VM to an external USB drive. Then I tried to copy it to a new Macbook. Every time I try to copy either the .pvm bundle or the .hdd file, I get an error that the copy cannot be completed because I do not have sufficient privileges. All the accounts in use are administrator accounts.

Any suggestions?

10. krisK

krisK Bit poster

hi,
    any resolution on this problem?
    thx
    kris

11. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please perform the steps given below and then try copying the .pvm bundle:

Restart MAC, don't start any applications.
    Please follow these steps :

1. Open Finder
    2. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilities
    3. Choose MAC HD
    4. Choose repair disk permissions.
    After running the repair disk permissions , restart the computer.

If you are still facing the same problem then please send us the screen shot of the exact error screen so that we can help you in a better way.

Thank You.