Parallels now Apple's favorite?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by maverick808, Jun 17, 2006.

1. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

2. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Thanks for listing that URL!!!!

I wonder... I have never run BootCamp because having an either/or OS just didn't appeal to me. Before I purchased my MacBook, I had a Dell Tower and a G4 Tower, on a common keyboard, mouse, and monitor via a KVM switch. That was handy. By way of a shared directory, I had the two computers linked.

I didn't have much interest in BootCamp at the time because I just didn't see the advantage.

Then Parallels came out.

I have thought about it... if it hadn't been for Parallels, I doubt if I would have purchased this MacBook.

3. pdkline

pdkline Junior Member

That is really neat :)

4. mcg

mcg Hunter

I'm with Larry---I would still be using my Thinkpad today were it not for Parallels; and Boot Camp alone was not going to cut it.

5. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I've been waiting for several months to see whether Apple would just BUY parallels! If Apple doesn't suffer too much from NIH syndrome, it would make a lot of sense given the strategic importance of being able to run Windows on a Mac.

D

6. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Who knows... marketing is a complex thing especially when companies such as Apple need successful third parties building software. Speculation has me thinking that Apple could contract with Parallels, or do nothing and continue giving them free advertisement on their website. Apple could possibly do as Microsoft has done with Flip4Mac.

7. Manatee

Manatee Member

Now there's an endorsement for you! :)

8. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

It really isn't surprising. Apple endorsed Virtual PC, before and during MicroSoft's possession of it. Now that PD is not beta it only makes sense that Apple would endorse it.

=)

9. mahortom

mahortom Bit poster

Bet Apple is going to buy Parallels very soon?

10. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

No. Won't happen.

Apple is too far along with Boot camp and Leopard to buy into someone else's solution. Just wait.

=)

11. tmac

tmac Bit poster

Parallels employees - I truly do not mean this to sound fascetious, but IMHO congratulations on an early stock-option retirement once Leopard (10.5) hits the street. That is, prior to AAPL buying the company outright and incorporating your kick-@ss efforts into the OS itself.

:)

12. danielandrews

danielandrews Bit poster

I could see them working on a solution of their own for 10.5.

13. mwhitted

mwhitted Bit poster

Boot camp vs. Parallels: two different CLASSES of solution. ie. Solutions to two different problems.