Finally Got Version 4.0 working

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RLWIV, Nov 29, 2008.

1. RLWIV

RLWIV Junior Member

I decided to try reinstalling 4.0 from scratch with a fresh windows xp sp3 since I now had to wait for sales (still haven't heard from them). FINALLY I have windows back! Thank goodness I had backed up my documents before upgrading. Now 4.0 works great. No complaints except smart select does not recognize .docx files as word documents. Well I can live with that. I must say, this has been a horrible experience. I totaled about 15 hrs of working on this not to mention lost productivity at work. 4.0 might be ready to run as a new install, but it was no where near ready to go from 3.0 to 4.0. I now own a brand new Apple time machine btw. I wish Parallels would do something nice for everyone who got screwed with this. It would be good PR.
    RW

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi,
    We are sorry for inconvenience caused and your feedback is appreciated.
    Please, tell me the ticket numbers if you still haven`t got a reply from us.

3. RLWIV

RLWIV Junior Member

Rw

4. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Alright, I have replied you in the ticket. Pls, check your email.

5. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I got it working too!

I decided to try version 4.0 today (again) and I noticed there was an update, so I updated. However this did no good, as I still had the same problem as before, which is the PC VM gets stuck in the boot process and then complains there is no boot volume.

This time I went to the menu and selected FILE > OPEN and manually navigated to where I knew my VM drive was (the file I found on my machine was called "Windblows XP.pvm"). Now the software acted differently, going through a process of updating the old VM to a newer version VM, and in a few minutes Windows was booting up fine.

Hope this helps someone.