Parallels 4.0 Upgrade - No audio

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mcfcbird, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mcfcbird

mcfcbird Bit poster

I upgraded from 3.0 and can't get audio to work. I just get an error:- "Bad Directsound Driver. Please install Proper Drivers or select another device in configuration. Error code 88780078"

I'm running XP Pro via bootcamp. The audio works fine when booting directly in bootcamp, and also works fine under Parallels 3.0, but not under 4.0. I've tried configuring audio via built in audio and audio via a firewire interface, the result is always the same, I get the above error and no audio.

I'm also getting an alert stating that Parallel Tools has failed to install, as reported on other threads in this forum.

If anyone can shed any light at all on the lack of audio I'd be extremely grateful as I'm not getting anywhere with the support contact numbers and addresses.

Very pissed off, I've been struggling to get this to work for days...

2. STim

STim Bit poster

What happens if you go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware tab->Device Manager, right-click the "Sound, Vide and game controllers" node and select "Scan for hardware changes"?

3. mcfcbird

mcfcbird Bit poster

I did what you suggested and saw there was a multimedia audio driver missing from the stack. I inserted the installation CD and ran the manager and it found the missing codec, installed it and the audio returned.

A sincere thanks STim, everything seems to be working now.

4. jweisbin

jweisbin Junior Member

I have the same problem, but I bought the download version, so I have no Parallels CD - or is it the Windows CD I'm supposed to insert?

5. STim

STim Bit poster

It is Windows CD that you need to insert.

6. jweisbin

jweisbin Junior Member

And install what driver?

7. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

After you insert the Windows CD (do not forget to mount it to the virtual machine in the Configuration screen) and 'scan for hardware changes', if will find what driver to install itself.

8. jweisbin

jweisbin Junior Member

That didn't work for me - I had both the Parallels tools image mounted and the windows CD mounted. I tried searching both locations, no go. I would still like to know exactly what driver Parallels is looking for - in other words, what audio inetrface is it emulationg. Perhaps then I could find a driver somewhere.

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Intel 82801 BA/BAM AC97

10. packardsoftware

packardsoftware Bit poster

I have the same problem. When I checked the Device Manager I found I already had the Intel 82801BA/BAM driver installed. Still no sound. Also no volume control icon in the task bar.

11. packardsoftware

I got my sound working looking at another thread. The problem was that the configuration under my virtual machine had the sound enabled, but not connected.

Only problem now is how do I get the volume control back on my task bar???

12. John@Parallels

Please delete it stop Virtual machine, and remove Sound device add it back
    Start Virtual machine and check

13. packardsoftware

I've got the Icon back now. Under control panel the option to have the icon on the taskbar was checked, but had to uncheck it "apply" then check it and "apply". All is well now.

14. John@Parallels

Oh, you know I am really glad to hear you got it back, meanwhile I was searching for article to send you
    Good !!!!!! :)

15. jweisbin

jweisbin Junior Member

Parallels sent me this:
    I ran the AC'97 installer and sound worked on reboot.

16. Adam Grinfeld

Adam Grinfeld Bit poster

Audio Driver Probs

Hi,

I've read through the thread and tried every single thing. at the device manager it showed that I'm missing the audio driver, I tried inserting the WinXP CD, but no good... I then downloaded a couple of drivers that got the Parallel VM stuck. and on my last attempt I installed Realtek's AC97 driver. now on the device manager it seems that everything is fine but the sound it makes is remotely what it should be, currently it's more of a noise... can someone please please help me here?

Many thanks,
    Adam