Parallels 4.0.3540 - Mouse Pointer disappears

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by chunghy, Nov 26, 2008.

1. chunghy

chunghy Bit poster

Hi,

I just installed Parallels 4.0.3540 on two Mac, and they have the same mouse pointer issue.

When you move the pointer to the text input area (like Word document), links or filling lines, the pointer disappears from the screen. And, when you move the pointer to non-input area, the mouse pointer comes back.

Yes, "Hide pointer when not typing" option in the control Panel is not turned on, and no other 3rd party mouse-related utilities are installed. It's just a plain Windows XP sp3 copy. And, yes, the latest Parallels tool is installed as well.

Am I the only one with this problem? I've never had this problem with version 3, and am very frustrated about this upgrade.

Please help!

2. jlachoff

jlachoff Member

Same problem here

I'm having the same issue. I have to shake my mouse to get it to reappear, or sometimes I have to hit the keystroke to switch to the mac cursor and then back to guest os. This happens only when I'm typing, and I also don't have Windows set up that way.

3. Meillor

Meillor Bit poster

Hi, I am also finding that the mouse pointer disappears at times, often after i suspended the vm and then resumed. I then often find that my docs has disappeared, and have to either re-start the vm, or re-install tools. I have pd 4 build 3540 installed. Bit annoying!

4. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

chunghy,

Specify please, do you click this input area first and then the pointer disappears, or it just disappears when you move it to the input area without clicking?

For now as a workaround try to change the text select pointer in the Control Panel->Mouse->Pointers tab.

5. Anna Pichueva

jlachoff, are you sure that everything is ok with your Parallels Tools? Try to reinstall it please.

6. Anna Pichueva

7. chunghy

chunghy Bit poster

It just disappears when you move it to the input area without clicking. And, even when you click and hold to highlight, the pointer does not stay. It only shows up briefly (less than 1 second) when you click.

8. Richard H

Richard H Bit poster

Same, or similar problem

I am attempting to install that version of Parallels that "fixes" the mouse problem. Guess what?

Somewhere in the 4 step, a Windows screen pops up and invites me to register my legal, paid for, registered copy of XP Pro. That's all well and good, but the mouse is disabled. CTRL+ALT brings the cursor back, but as soon as you click anywhere in that screen, it disappears and nothing can be done, other than stop or suspend Parallels.

Really need some help on this. Lotta work to do.

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please reboot Virtual Machine in Windows Safe Mode and in Device manager remove mouse device under Mica and other pointer devices, restart Virtual machine,

10. Richard H

Richard H Bit poster

Solution!

Yes, I had already done that and the installation completed about 20 minutes ago. Seems to be working well, although a number of program shortcuts were deleted from the Windows desktop. No big deal there.

11. Meillor

Meillor Bit poster

Hi Anna, sorry for the slow reply, but it is NOT fixed in build 3540 as I have that build already installed?

12. Meillor

Meillor Bit poster

Hi Again.... ok new user didn't realise that was later version of 3540 - thanks anna will see how i get on..

13. Meillor

Meillor Bit poster

Hi John, i have loaded latest version 3540 209.... and then found I still have mouse problem, although not all the time. Can I just confirm, cause i am stupid what you suggest. Device Manager in safe mode, mouse & pointing devices and then you want us to remove the parallels mouse that is installed? Cause am not sure - sorry

14. John@Parallels

15. chunghy

chunghy Bit poster

I tried this several times, but did not work.

16. John@Parallels

Do you have mouse driver installed?
    If yes, try to use simple USB mouse connect it to VM, and delete custom drivers

17. qphayes

qphayes Bit poster

I am having the same problem, but when I try to do the step by step instructions, I don't see the mouse listed as you have "VM Additions PS/2 Port Mouse."

18. John@Parallels

just uninstall mouse device in safe mode from device manager, and restart virtual machine

19. lubbert das

lubbert das Bit poster

I had the same problem.

I use AutoCAD 2009, Parallels 4, build 3540 on a 2core MBP.

I followed the tools reinstall instructions found on this page and it cleared up all mouse annoyances in coherence and full screen mode.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  20. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Thank you all.

The bug was found and fixed.

Alexander