Parallels Service (Not Responding)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RickAce, Dec 1, 2008.

1. RickAce

RickAce Junior Member

Hello,

I just upgraded recently from PD3 to PD4 and I now get two occurrences of "Parallels Service (Not Responding)" in Activity Monitor...

603 Parallels Service (Not Responding) rscovel 13.0 29 749.48 MB 1.60 GB
    128 Parallels Service (Not Responding) root 0.0 15 9.06 MB 321.62 MB
    588 Parallels Desktop rscovel 1.8 8 93.87 MB 1.16 GB

All was working fine and then all of a sudden I could hear my fans ramp up in my 17" MBP (2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo). I have been able to get Parallels to work (I defraged my hard drive and that seems to have helped the pegging of the processor(s) but the two instances of "Parallels Service (Not Responding)" remain.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Do I need to reinstall PD4 from scratch?

I look forward to any comments and help.

Thank you.

2. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

Please attach a screenshot of Activity monitor -- it's not clear what process consumes CPU time and how much it consumes. If it's prl_vm_app then try this KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5810

3. RickAce

RickAce Junior Member

I have attached a copy of "Activity Monitor" - also I followed the KB link and it appears all is well (please see attachments).

Attached Files:

4. packardsoftware

packardsoftware Bit poster

Same Here

I have the exact same issue. My Activity monitor looks just like yours and I was trying to figure it out when I ran across this thread.

5. RickAce

RickAce Junior Member

estrelnikov,

Any update on this issue?

RickAce

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hello,
    I want to confirm, that you are using build 3540
    Please reply

7. packardsoftware

packardsoftware Bit poster

Thread not Responding

I am running build 3540. Also I killed the process to see if it was actually in use. It is. This is the main virtual machine process for my Windows XP virtual machine (one of the threads are, not sure what the other one does).

8. RickAce

RickAce Junior Member

I am also running build 3540.

I performed the terminal commands given by pythonzz (Parallels Team):

# ps aux | grep prl_disp_service

If there is anything except 'grep prl_disp_service' process, use

# kill -9 <proc_id>

then start the service from terminal
    # /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disp_service -e --logfile /var/log/prl_disp_service_server.log

then start PD

This did not work completely - first I do not know how to kill the process at the "root" level through terminal.

I was able to kill the other instance of "Parallels Service (Not Responding)" but now it reappears as (after a reboot of Mac OSX) "prl_vm_app (Not Responding)" (see attachment).

Attached Files:

9. RickAce

RickAce Junior Member

Update

Update: Now "prl_vm_app (Not Responding)" appears as "Parallels Service (Not Responding)" (see attachment).

Attached Files:

10. Leonard

Leonard Member

I am getting stuck processes in PD4.0 v3810, on 10.5.6 on my MBP.

I get both "Parallels Service" and "Parallels VM" reporting "(Not Responding)" in Activity Monitor. "Parallels Desktop", prl_naptd and prl_iphone_proxy show alive and the VM (Win XP Pro SP3) appears to be functioning fine otherwise.

11. Tessy

Tessy Bit poster

I think it's supposed to be be that way. I wish they would say so in a Faq somewhere.

12. MerylS

MerylS Junior Member

I have the precise same issue. My Activity monitor appearance similar to yours and that I was making an attempt to work it out once I ran across this problem.