1. Tom W

Tom W Junior Member

I've been happily using 3.0 for a long time. Recently I went to launch Parallels and I get the dialog box to install a new OS (OS installation assistant). I have no desire to try and recreate everything I had.

I assume a file has become damaged somewhere. I've run the Mac's disk repair and see nothing wrong. I can check if I have the backup file(s) I need if I know what to look for ...

Anyone have a suggestion of where to start to fix this? I looked in the "knowledgebase" and found nothing. I'm running OS 10.4.11 if that matters (but like I say, all has been running fine).

Stumped

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

When you start Parallels Desktop you will be provided with option to convert old virtual machine, if not, please navigate to Virtual machine folder and double click <you-vm-name>.pvs file
    Select Backup and Convert, and make sure location specified has enough place to put backup of VM

3. Tom W

Tom W Junior Member

I have a number of .pvs files, the one I think is the most current gives an error message:

File /Users/Tom/Documents/Parallels/winxp/winxp.pvs seems to be not a valid Parallels virtual machine configuration file!

The others (older backups) work but are out of date ... Any way I can troubleshoot the problem with the file easily?

4. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

I would recommend you to do the following: locate the .hdd file (this is the file all your data and applications are stored in) and create a new *custom* Virtual Machine. Go through the steps of the Wizard until you are prompted for the hard disk type - select 'use an existing image' and browse to the .hdd file. Try running this new VM. If any error messages are displayed I advise you to contact our technical support - they can be reached here: http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/request/

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you have several pvs files, try too use one where your hdd file is located.
    or just check what is inside, opening in TextEdit, if it is empty it is not valid file