Tips for maintaining a Windows system

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kaidomac, Jun 18, 2006.

1. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

I'm a Windows users who has been in the process of switching for the last 6 months. I do IT for a living and have found a good combination of Internet security & system maintenance utilities for Windows. Here is what I run on my Windows machines (all are free):

Monday - Adaware
    Tuesday - Spybot
    Wednesday - AVG anti-virus
    Thursday - Windows Update (included in Windows)
    Friday - Disk Cleanup & Disk Defragmenter (both are included in Windows)

In addition, I run ZoneAlarm as my firewall. Adaware, Spybot, AVG, and ZoneAlarm all have free versions available. I would recommend downloading them from Download.com. You can run these all at once one time a week or one a day throughout the week. This combination has kept my Windows computers clean and running fairly trouble-free. Just thought I'd share as I know many Mac users are also dabbling in the Windows world. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Windows due to school and work ;)

2. gregss

gregss Bit poster

Good post. I'd second all of those recommendations. I use Avast anti-virus (also a free version available) instead of AVG.

For those that are interested, MacWorld re-printed a brief review originally run by PC World in their latest issue of PC virus protection programs, including several with free versions.

I would be very neat if the Parallels tools for Windows would incorporate some of this functionality -- perhaps even through OEM versions of the programs. Managing spyware search, anti-virus, de-frag, etc. -- in fact, all system maintenance tasks -- through the VM console could be an interesting idea.

I'm an infrequent Windows user, but occasionally have the need to run Windows programs. So, I might boot up a couple of times a week for a short period. If the updates for all of the above could auto-download in the Host OS and be shared to the Guest via a special shared folder for installation, it would save me time when working inside the Guest OS. And, let's face it...the reason I have a Mac instead of a Windows machine is that I prefer working in the Mac experience.

3. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

I would add one: Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer to surf the internet.

[​IMG]

4. kaidomac

kaidomac Member

Yes, definately. Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email if you require a desktop client.

5. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Also, an endorsement for Firewire. Will add another Ad/spy monitoring program:

http://www.ewido.net/en/

I prefer ewido over Lavasoft's ad-aware. A bit more intelligent in the way it does things. I liked enough to actually purchase the full version.

6. pdkline

pdkline Junior Member

this is what i do, every monday i copy my backup WIndows Hard Drive File to the directory and use that for a week.

All my vs2005 source is stored on a share directory. And If I have to install something i install it after i copy the hd file over. I did this since vmware came out, saved me a lot of heart ache.

Paul

7. chasisaac

chasisaac Bit poster

So Funny . . .

I find this such an odd set of posting. First, I do want to run parallels for one or two small items. Which are games. Neither of which are internet related.

But why would you want to run Windows on the net? What a mistake. I just converted my wife over to a Macintosh (finally)

She loves the lack of virus and adware and spyware and all the otehr crapware out there. She is finally happy computing again.

But the real question why are we running Windows? What do we get as an advantge?

I think the one advantage of Parallels over Bootcamp. When your Windows get trashed all one ha to do is delete and move on.

Yes, I do OWN Parallels.

8. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

I got alot of use out of parallels just last night. I have the full version and hadn't really been using windows much (printer still doesn't work, i think its a USB 2.0 issue), but I had a .wmv file i needed to extract audio from. There may be free tools for OSX to do this but sometimes finding Windows tools is easier. Anyway , i was able to rip the audio from the emv file to a wma file and then convert it to a wav, all with freeware. I then put the wav in the shared folder and itunes did the rest. It was nice having both desktops at my fingertips on one machine, and no rebooting.

9. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

For me, it is the GIS and mapping software that I need to be able to access while out in the field. Nothing is equivalent for the Mac, yet.

The computer that I tried using, a Dell, obviously runs the software but its screen is unreadable in bright sunlight.

My MacBook can run this software just fine via Parallels, and its screen works marvelously in bright sunlight.

10. chrismasto

chrismasto Member

On alternate Tuesdays, I face south-southwest and hold my breath for 26 seconds, then, WITHOUT MOVING my left foot, reach over for the mouse and triple-click the Start button before carefully going to All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Defragmenter. The mouse pointer must not stray to any other menu items. If I make a mistake, I shut down, unplug the computer for one hour (using a digital kitchen timer, NOT ONE WITH A BELL IT SCARES THE CAT), and start over. Then, if it's an odd numbered Julian day, I eat one slice of Kraft Singles American Cheese, making sure to open the wrapper from bottom to top. I haven't had any problems with viruses or spyware yet.