forgetting PD4 and switching to vmware!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by patimages, Nov 25, 2008.

1. patimages

patimages Member

I am fed up with parallel desktop 4. I ran into a dozen of problems, wrote numerous post here and did not get any support. Right now, PD4 is getting my computer to literally burn as PD4 overloads it for no reason. I am just too fed up: I did not pay to test a product that fails. I paid for a working one and this is not the case of PD4!

So, if you are hesitating to install PD4, DO NOT DO IT (just look at the countless number of posts reporting failure of this soft!!!) and do like me, switch to vwmare ! They offer basically the same service and all is installed and working in less then 5 minutes. I wish to precise that I am not affiliated with vmware, I am just unhappy with the parallel desktop product and the lack of support from parallels (just look at my posts)!!!

Bye.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  2. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

I'm evaluating VMware Fusion which managed to convert the same WinXP.hdd VM that PD4 couldn't manage to do. It did it first time and with no dramas.

I've just had some contact with Parallels who want all the log files and so on - difficult when you've uninstalled and gone back to the inferior PD3 (which worked like a rocket until I messed with it by 'ugrading').

3. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Just to add a postscript.

I've not continued with VMware OR Parallels 4.

I considered my options, looked at what I need Windows for, cleaned my machine and re-installed PD3. It boots in less than 30 seconds, and from 'Suspended' restarts in less than 10 seconds.

By any measure, that is stunning performance from PD3.

Parallels staff were unable to find out why PD4 didn't work on my machine and I've spent enough time and energy to veto any further attempts.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What is your ticket id ?

5. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Parallels #625890 - it's me John.

Rather than lose disillusioned customers to VMware, I've said that I have gone back to PD3 which is working well.

Your choice whether you post this or not. Brian

6. epirali

epirali Member

A sense of balance from someone who runs both: yes there are "growing" pains with PD4, but the customer support and help has been EXEMPLARY here, and I can say confidently that there are things that parallels does very well that VMWare can't do. I do software development under both for DSPs, and VMWare USB device support chokes on some things that Parallels handles very well.

7. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

No problems with PD4 (or with 3)

I've had zero problems with PD4 after upgrading from PD3. Fast, more powerful and nicer interface.

Mine was a straight VM installation - never had Boot Camp. Tried VMWare Fusion once and did not care for it or their support.

So, I would just counter the original poster's warning to people and suggest that they do indeed try PD4. But, be smart about it. Clone your system with Carbon Copy Cloner (shareware) first, just in case you run into something weird and need to roll back.

Cheers,
    Karl