4.0 upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by schnide, Nov 11, 2008.

1. chownsb

chownsb Junior Member

I find it hard to believe that none of these issues came up during regular testing.

What is the status of the "7B" BSOD that I am getting? Further to my problem, I have noticed that I am unable to mount my Boot Camp partition using the Parallels Browser (or whatever its called). It fails to mount, something about not being able to access the drive. I figure the two issues are related.

2. matt_d

matt_d Bit poster

I agree. The really funny thing is that they seem to be in denial that it's their software. I had a tech tell me to run a Windows repair! (This of course, I had done LONG ago.)

I'm about a day or so away from calling my credit card company. This is not release quality software.

3. chownsb

chownsb Junior Member

I'm glad I didn't fork out any money for it yet. Its about $120 in Canadian dollars. I would be furious right now if I paid for this mess.

I wonder if they'll give me a new trial key since my trial period will be long gone before the problems are fixed.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

7B status is result of incorrect drive setting, just walk through http://kb.parallels.com/en/5670

5. chownsb

chownsb Junior Member

Can you be a little more specific? I haven't "changed" anything since Parallels 3. Do I need to modify my boot.ini file? If I do that, I'm willing to bet it won't boot up properly using Boot Camp.

6. Bob James

Bob James Junior Member

After re-booting twice: EVERYTHING WORKS!!
    Memory and CPU sliders work (1-4 no problem, 5-8 have an asterisk denoting not fully supported, but, hey, four is a whole lot better than 1).

Alas, the same is not true for my iMac installation: both sliders are not accessible and it only sees one core. It does, however, work fine in coherence mode.

All in all, I'm satisfied enough to go ahead and buy another version 4 for my MacPro. The ability to address 256MB of video memory is very important on my MacPro because it has two 30" Apple Cinema monitors. Version 3 would not support them because it only had 64MB of video memory.

But I must say that I agree with so many others: this version was not ready for release considering all of the problems with installation. I have been and am on beta test teams and this one was just not ready. Nevertheless, I'm sure that the current beta team will clean up the installation problems and the other prevalent bugs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  7. atmasu

atmasu Bit poster

I agree - we need more specifics. The link provided does not really provide a great explanation. Sorry - this is buggy software - I had to pay for a buggy software and trying to find a solution in this forum. This cannot be the quality understanding of Parallels!

8. jmanos3

jmanos3 Member

Yes, I have run into this with both of my Windows VM's (Home and Pro). One thing that you can try is to make sure the MAC address of the network interface card is the same as it was in PD3. This may or may not work depending upon other hardware changes.

I am very curious as to how many people have been required to re-activate their Windows VM's. I know that for me, the re-activation required a manual upgrade/conversion approach to the VM's and I would have thought this situation would have been run into all the time during beta testing.

9. chownsb

chownsb Junior Member

Has any progress been made on the "7B" issue?

10. atmasu

atmasu Bit poster

BSOD 7B: The Parallels team ignores that issue. I have deleted PD4 and run an older version. This is frustrating, but I have never been able to get an answer from Parallels.

11. John@Parallels

12. chownsb

chownsb Junior Member

I followed the instructions for version 3 and it made no difference.

Myself and at least one other person had asked for some clarification of the version 4 instructions.

13. John@Parallels

For ver 4
    Configure - select Show Advanced Settings - Hard Disk 1
    Make sure interface selected is IDE

14. chownsb

chownsb Junior Member

IDE is the only available option, so yes, its selected. IDE 0:0 to be exact.

15. John@Parallels

Is it Boot Camp?

16. chownsb

chownsb Junior Member

Yes, Boot Camp running XP with SP3 (I had SP2 prior and neither work).

I've gone in and removed the "Parallels" trees from the registry with no luck.

17. John@Parallels

Is error looking something like that
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF741B84C,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

18. chownsb

chownsb Junior Member

Here is a screenshot: [​IMG]

19. John@Parallels

Please do following:
    When you boot in Boot Camp, open c:\boot.ini file and post it here

20. beelenpe

beelenpe Bit poster

I had the same problem, windows asks me for reactivayion several times and then gives a blue screen of death.