More ubuntu (Dapper) problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by suntzu, Jun 6, 2006.

1. suntzu

suntzu Bit poster

I'm trying to get ubuntu to access the internet with no success.

- I've used both the LiveCD and the Alternate ISO.
    - I've selected Bridged Networking and used Default Adapter, Wireless, and Ethernet options.
    - I've selected Host-Only Networking
    - I've tried both the Linux 2.6 setup and Debian setup.
    - Networking/Internet works great in Windows XP SP2

I guess I could manually enter in the IP address, DNS, etc... but when happens when I'm on the road, friend's house, or hotspot? Wouldn't I have to enter them in every single time I change locations?

Other info:
    - Running RC2
    - System RAM is set at 512MB.
    - Macbook Pro, 1GB RAM, 7200RPM option
    - OS X all updated

Any suggestions?

2. ncafferkey

ncafferkey Bit poster

I have the same problem. I've read that people are having similar problems with Dapper on real PCs. It could be related to the NIC that Parallels emulates. I ended up using manual configuration.

For moving arouond, you can set up multiple locations in the network prefs.

3. ScottTFrazer

ScottTFrazer Junior Member

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS works fine with bridged networking and DHCP (over the airport) for me...

My setup is pretty similar to the original post, but I've got 2GB of ram in the MBP

4. trygve

trygve Bit poster

I have similar problems on my MacBook Pro. I use it regularly on three wireless networks, two of which are completely open, and the third uses PEAP. My Ubuntu virtual machine can get online just fine only when I'm at home (on an open wireless network), it fails to get online on the other open network I use, as well as the PEAP network.

5. g5maniac

g5maniac Bit poster

Ubuntu Dapper

Not sure if I was just ucky, but for Ubuntu Dapper all I had to do was (once installed) go to:
    System -> Admin -> Networking and activate eth0 in this dialog.

This did the job for me
    Hope this helps!

6. trygve

trygve Bit poster

No, I wasn't able to find any solution quite as simple as that.

I am, however, happy to report that the final version released this week solved the problem for me. It still doesn't seem to matter if I set the guest OS to "Other linux kernel 2.6" or "Debian", both just work for me on the build from June 12th, but didn't on the build from May 28th (or any of the previous ones I'd tried).

Thanks to whoever at Parallels fixed that!

7. suntzu

suntzu Bit poster

Yep. It works now. Don't know what they did but everything runs smoothly in ubuntu now.

8. Sanook

Sanook Bit poster

I am currently trying to install Ubunto (not the network version), but it seems to hang while "Installing System" (at 15%). Does the installation take a long time?

9. trygve

trygve Bit poster

It didn't for me.