4.0 100% cpu usage in Host

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ebatte, Nov 15, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Near welcome screen or Parallels Tools services are starting, in Parallels Desktop version 4 , we have notification , you probably clicked do nto show it again, but you can restore behavior in Parallels Desktop - Preferences - General - Hidden messages

2. epirali

epirali Member

Thanks, but honestly I really can't take the time to go through all that. I have gotten PD4 to be stable enough to use without reverting and don't want to mess this up. It took a few hours. Is there any thoughts on why the CPU has a yellow warning and "no better driver" can be found after update?

3. John@Parallels

Yep, here it is!
    CPU driver is not shown.
    Delete it, restart VM, and scan for hardware changes

4. epirali

epirali Member

Why would that be different than updating the driver?

5. John@Parallels

It depends, on many factors
    an example is if VM is in AD, and Domain GPO prevents hardware driver update

6. epirali

epirali Member

Sorry to be dense, but I have no idea what "VM is in AD" means.

7. John@Parallels

VM - virtual machine
    AD - Active Directory

about AD, it is just example - never mind if it is standalone VM, another situation, when security software prevents hardware changes

8. otoc

otoc Member

Thanks John, I had done that.

The reason being was that in PD3 an overlay message was present during the XP Pro boot process saying that Tools was loading and that no activity should occur until the process was over. After a while that message on the Welcome screen would disappear and I would then log in to the user and allow XP to finish the boot process for that user.

In PD4 that message that can be hidden only states "it may take up to 5 minutes". It's pretty useless.

Which is why I boot PD4 in window mode and either watch the drive activity or bring up a CPU logger in OSX to see when the activity subsides, which to me signifies PD4 Tools has loaded and it is safe to log in.

There is a difference in the manner in which PD3 & PD4 communicate with the enduser.

I prefer the PD3 method (assuming it was accurate in ending the message when tools was loaded). I find less issues (conflicts with XP start up apps) with running the XP BootCamp VM when I wait for Tools to load before I log in.

To me this is a downgrade in a feature set.

9. mwallace

mwallace Bit poster

This issue seems to have gotten off-track. I am experiencing this issue as well, so let me summarize what I'm seeing:

1. CPU jumps to 100% as soon as the Guest OS window is opened. NOTE: THE GUEST OS IS NOT EVEN STARTED
    2. This issue is not limited to any particular Guest OS, it happens for ANY VM (Windows, Linux, whatever). This is further reinforced by point 1.

Because of these two points, any solution which involves the doing something to the Guest OS is nonsense. I was able to solve the problem by uninstalling Parallels and re-installing, but the problem recurred about a week later (after a reboot of my machine).

Please forward this on to engineers immediately. This is a HUGE bug and basically makes the software unusable. I would downgrade back to Parallels 3, but I can't back-convert my VMs.

10. ebatte

ebatte Member

It hasn't really gotten off track. What you describe is exactly the same as what I have experienced. The only solution I am aware of is to install Parallels 4 as a different user with admin privileges. I have now had to do this 4-5 times as the solution doesn't seem to stick indefinitely. Regardless, it still seems to work for some time.

11. John@Parallels

Try following
    open Terminal
    cd Documents
    rm -rf .parallels-vm-directory

Warning!
    Be carefull!
    only exact as described

12. ebatte

ebatte Member

John, who is your post directed to?

13. John@Parallels

to mwallace
    You can try it also

14. mwallace

mwallace Bit poster

That doesn't help. That directory was empty. Can this problem be reproduced by your engineers. Just to be clear, literally all I have to do is start Parallels and then open up the Guest OS window WITHOUT STARTING ANYTHING. This has to be obviously broken code.

15. StephenF

StephenF Bit poster

Having same problem - 100% CPU usage at startup

I have had the same problem. After installing Parallels 4, the background program (forgot the name, and it's not currently installed) takes 100% of the CPU. I think if it is set to use only 1 CPU then only pegs at 100%. This can be stopped by force-quitting the background application (go to Activity Monitor and click on CPU; it will be on top).

So, I've tried to uninstall Parallels 4 and re-install Parallels 3. As VMs have been modified, I'm not sure how to make it work with Boot Camp again. However, another issue is that upgrading beyond v3 build 4560 is impossible. I get the message "Please uninstall Parallels Server". I found out that some of the Parallels 4 files can make the installer think that Parallels Server is installed. However, I've used the Parallels 4 uninstaller, and it says that it's not installed. I've also removed files using Terminal according to the following page: http://kb.parallels.com/en/5714

However, both the Parallels Server and Parallels 4 uninstallers report that neither is installed, but when I try to upgrade using Parallels 3 (e.g., builds 5638 or 5626), the installer won't let me, and reports "Please uninstall Parallels Server".

At this point, I have nothing. HELP!!!!

16. ConorS

ConorS Bit poster

CPU Usage 100%

I have this problem too, but I dont really want to uninstall and re-install parallels if I dont understand why I am doing it. When I have my VM running (I use 1 CPU and 1024 MB Ram) it uses 100% CPU even if I have nothing happening on my VM. My Macbook gets ridiculously hot and the battery life doesnt last very long.

This is very annoying, especially after forking out money for an UPGRADE.

Has anyone solved this yet???????

17. ConorS

ConorS Bit poster

I have tried installing parallels as a different user and I still have a problem.

When I click to see all processes on the guest OS it shows me svchost and wmiprvse processess are using all the cpu. does anyone know why that might be?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  18. ConorS

ConorS Bit poster

So I found a fix for my issue. In the virtual macine configuration under shared folders, I stopped sharing the windows disks with Mac Osx and my issue was resolved. It may have been con-incidence, I can't be sure.

19. wobben

wobben Bit poster

Search the forums for 'Delphi freeze' and you'll find my fix to restart the Parallels Tools. This solved the Delphi freeze issue, but seems to help my macbook regarding the 100% cpu issue as well...

20. BrentD

BrentD Bit poster

Processor driver fix

I had the 100% CPU loading issue today after upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0.3846. Found the following article http://kb.parallels.com/en/5810 and indeed the processor driver had the dreaded yellow exclamation point. Tried to update the driver automatically as explained in the article but that didn't work. Decided to try doing it manually. Upon selecting the processor driver type (the 3rd or 4th step in the manual update process), it gave me two selections "Intel Processor" and "Processor". Selecting the "Intel Processor" driver resulted in the same 100% CPU utilization (even though I'm running Intel Core 2 Dual processors). Tried the generic "Processor" driver and that fixed it. Bottom line - if you have the 100% CPU loading issue and updating your driver using the auto selection feature doesn't work, try it manually.