Mounting Parallels Tools Image in OpenSolaris 2008.11

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by tjhcom, Dec 6, 2008.

1. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

I have successfully booted and installed the OpenSolaris 2008.11, using build 4.0.3540, and am now attempting to install the network tool.

In the VM configuration, I have the CD/DVD-ROM 1 pointing to the image file /Library/Parallels/Tools/prl-tools-other.iso file. However, I cannot locate this CDROM when I boot into OpenSolaris. A CDROM exists in OpenSolaris, and it has two directories - "CDROM0" and "opensolaris" - -both are broken links. Bottom line - I cannot locate parallels tools. Anyone have an idea of what I need to do?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Only Solaris 10 is supported
    Any way drivers for Network for Solaris 10 are in Drivers/Network/RTL8029
    Did you unmount previous CD and mount new?

3. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

Thanks John. No I did not unmount previous CD, and in fact do not see any CD mounted, but I can switch to Solaris 10. Is there a particular release of Solaris 10 that you have been successful in booting/loading/enabling with Parallels Tools? I attempted to load the latest version, 10/08, but it 'hung' during the install.

4. John@Parallels

Actually I have the 10/8 installed

5. tjhcom

tjhcom Junior Member

I got the 10/8 to work - had to chose the 'text' option for installing (vs. the default). I succesfully got the network adapter to work as well! Thanks! One final question - I have not yet tried this, but from what I read it might not be possible to connect a printer to the Solaris OS via Parallels. Can you confirm this (or please direct me to the right resource/instructions for this)? Thanks.

6. John@Parallels

I believe you can test it using Share a Mac Printer topic from Parallels Desktop -Help - Parallels Desktop help
    see linux section