Where is the 'Match resolution to window size' option?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mkstevo, Dec 7, 2008.

1. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

Where is the 'Match resolution to window size' option?

In P3, when I stretched/squashed the window containing the Windows guest, the resolution of the guest was automatically altered so that the guest filled the screen perfectly. Now in P4 I have to mess about with the mouse trying to make sure that the window size matches the guest resolution perfectly, with no black bars top/bottom & left/right.

This means that my guest resolution is limited to just a few sizes that fit within my monitor resolution, none of which allow me to almost fill the screen with my guest, while keeping an eye on the Mac. Given that I can't move the toolbar to the side of the guest window (another feature removed...) either, I find it frustrating to say the least.

It may allow better integration with the hosts by only enabling 'standard' resolutions, but I preferred it as it was in P3. Can't we have it (and toolbar moving) back as an option? Please?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Configure - Video
    Feature request about custom resolution was already submitted

3. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

Maybe I'm missing something here...

I click 'Configure'
    then 'Video'
    I then have the options of:
    Video Memory,
    Adjust the host resolution in full screen
    Enable 3D acceleration

Which of these options adjusts the host resolution as I resize the window with the mouse?

4. Kopoko

Kopoko Bit poster

same, really missing this feature.

5. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Hello,
    If you have Parallels Tools installed the guest OS resolution adjusts the window size automatically.
    This black bars inside the virtual machine window may appear due to the following reasons:
    1) You are running some game in full screen in Windows that uses some small resolution. And when you change the size of the virtual machine window, the resolution of this window changes, but the resolution of the game does not change. This causes these black bars.
    2) If you do not have Parallels Tools installed, Guest OS resolution will not match the window size

6. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

I have installed/re-installed the tools dozens of times, but this feature still doesn't work. I have to keep re-installing Parallels tools as if I make a slight change to the configuration of my Parallels machine, the mouse integration stops working until I re-install the tools again.

Perhaps it is related to the 'Coherence' service, as I can't get that to run or to start at all.

Both Coherence and Mouse Integration (and everything else too...) work perfectly (on the same Guest disk) in V3, so I've given up and returned to V3.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What build you are using?
    Use 3540, if problem is still there, please submit report from Help - Report a Problem