Ubuntu 8.04 freezes with Parallels 4

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by lukeoldboy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. lukeoldboy

lukeoldboy Bit poster

Hello, I'm trying out Parallels 4 with both windows and linux on a macbook coreduo(yonah). I've got an Ubuntu 8.04 VM, created with parallels 3 and then imported in parallels 4. It boots correctly, I can work without problems, but sometimes the vm freezes; the cursor and the keyboard don't respond (except for the ctrl+alt combination - parallels can capture it, allowing me to get back to macosx). I don't know if it's an issue related to X server, or to the whole os: ctrl+alt+f1 doesn't work, neither sending signals from the parallels menu: I got to force to stop the vm.
    I get this behaviour with Parallels tools installed, as well as without them.

Can you give me help to get rid of this issue?

thanks!

Luca

2. nomadichermit

nomadichermit Junior Member

I had the same issue. I would open up parallels 4 and Ubuntu 8.10. Everything would work fine. I'd go to the client site and try to ssh into the Ubuntu box. Putty would hang at the password screen. I get home to find out that Ubuntu had locked up. You can still use the fun+f keys to move between sessions, but couldn't log in.

At home, it would work fine unless you would work on it, then it would crash about every 15minutes. Same issue, change the sessions, but can't log in or perform any tasks.

I'm not certain, if this is coincidence or if it fixed it, but it has been running pretty stable for the last few days.
    This is what I did:

1. Turn on Adaptive Hypervision under Options->Optimizations (To be honest I don't know what this feature actually does)

2. Turn off synchronize time with host computer Features->Services

3. Turn off Share Mac OSX folder with linux Features->Shared Folders

4. Turn off SmarMount Features->SmartMount

5. Turn off SmarGuard Features-<SmartGuard

6. Change number of CPUS to 2 Hardware->CPUS

7. Change video to 16Mb Hardware->Video

8. Turn off Enable 3D acceleration Hardware->Video

Again, I just used the shotgun approach and turned off all the options I didn't need.

Good luck,

3. lukeoldboy

lukeoldboy Bit poster

Thank you. In this last day I worked fine with ubuntu 8.04, uninstalling the parallels tools and setting 1 cpu. I've set 16 mb for the vram already, but I'll turn off all the other stuff you said: maybe it will be more stable.

Let's hope that the future releases of parallels 4 will let us work without all this "tuning"... :D one would use the configuration options safely, and not trembling every time one clicks on a checkbox :D

4. exemega

exemega Bit poster

The issue still remain after trying all the config options.
    After a while, Ubuntu 8 freezes without further warnings,
    just going stick, while activity monitor (on OSX) shows cpu-usage
    up to 200% for the parallels process.
    This happens in desktop, applications, even on the login-screen,
    never happened in Parallels 3.

Very bad behavior, anyway.

5. lukeoldboy

lukeoldboy Bit poster

Exemega, enabling only 1 cpu and uninstalling parallels tools (...they don't seem to have any effect on the performances, anyway) I got ubuntu working. At least, at the moment it does. With parallels tools installed (or with 2 cpu enabled), the freeze was unavoidable (in my case). I got to say that parallels tools never worked for me, neither in parallels 3 nor in parallels 4: always the same freeze occurred.
    I think it's especially related to the macbook (maybe for the graphic chipset), or at least to its first release (mine has a yonah chipset).

6. exemega

exemega Bit poster

Thanks for the hint, uninstalling Tools would be a pita,
    since they allow the use of the @-key and the flawless change
    between OSX and Ubuntu.
    The 2CPU issue is the main reason why i have upgraded
    to Parallels 4, anyway.

I will give it a try, anyway, tnx again.

EDIT: I will try the installatin on an iMac tomorrow,
    just to see if its a MacbookPro issue.

Have a nice evening, all.

7. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

8. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

9. gbrandt

gbrandt Bit poster

I get this with Ubuntu 8.04 as well. If htop is running while this occurs it will occasionally not freeze but just show nan% at the cpu usage for each task.

Gregor

10. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

11. mojo6771

mojo6771 Junior Member

Same here. With parallels 3.0 ubuntu worked fine.
    Since the update it hangs once a day atleast...

12. gbrandt

gbrandt Bit poster

The hang appears to coincide with extended high cpu load.

Gregor

13. marxercise

marxercise Bit poster

possible solution

The CPU spike appears tied to the Shared Folders. You may even be able to recover a frozen session by turning this off while your VM is running.
    (Virtual Machine > Configure > Shared Folders)

14. marxercise

marxercise Bit poster

possible solution redux

Strike that. I was having luck all day, but it just froze WITHOUT a corresponding rise in resource theft.

15. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

is there any clue in /var/log/messages on Ubuntu?

16. mojo6771

mojo6771 Junior Member

I have similar issue with ubuntu 8.10.

The /var/log/messages do not show much.. The "--MARK--" messages in /var/log/messages
    just stop occurring in the log. There is no other issue.

The trackpad is always frozen while sometimes I can do a keypress if the terminal window was open in ubuntu..
    butit then freezes immediately afterward.

17. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Guys, if this problem occurrs please create Problem Report and post the number of it to this thread!

18. mmacvicar

mmacvicar Bit poster

Ubuntu 10.10 freeze/crash

I am also having this issue with Ubuntu 8.10. I had tried 8.04, but this issue cause the VM to hang during an update installation which completely corrupted the OS, so I started over with 10.10.

I'm currently trying the settings listed by friegh, I'll report the results tomorrow.

I have also tried the following to no avail:
    • Set it to 1 cpu
    • Set memory to 512MB and 1024MB
    • Turned of Gnome (in case it was a video driver problem)
    • Changed the video driver from prldriver to vesa.
    • Set the video memory to 16MB

I've created a problem report [Parallels #637616] to help resolve this issue.

Mark MacVicar

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  19. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You created ticket
    Please submit problem report from Help - Report problem

20. pwnell

pwnell Bit poster

Ditto for me

I have Ubuntu 8.10. Used to work fine - even with Parallels 4. But since I upgraded to the latest release (i.e. not the initial Parallels 4 release), it would randomly hang after a couple of hours sitting idle. No CPU usage, nothing funny. But the VM is dead. I can grab/ungrab the mouse, but that us about it. Have to reset.