4 (3540) no logon servers

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by brienmuller, Nov 30, 2008.

1. brienmuller

brienmuller Bit poster

I bought the 4 upgrade on-line; was running 3 on iMac. Before installing, Parallels downloaded 3540 and used it for the installation.

Each time I try to start the Vista SP1 VM from Parallels 3, it restarts the conversion process and then says I have to logon to install the tools.

I cannot logon. Get "There are currently no logon servers to service the logon request." If I try to logon to the local machine, I get password errors. It feels as if the VM doesn't have network drivers and so cannot authenticate with the domain controller.

I've switched back and forth over and over between shared and bridged, default and built-in Ethernet. I've rebooted Leopard. Doesn't help. I installed a new Vista VM and it's working fine. Network Adapter 1 is enabled and connected.

Can I fix the logon with the converted VM? If not, is there a way to recover any user files? I saw something about a password changing floppy, but of course my iMac doesn't have a floppy drive. Is there a way to do a password change on a CD? My ultimate goal is to either fix the logon or 2nd, recover user files.

Brien

2. jtkohl

jtkohl Bit poster

Can you log in as local administrator account (not a domain account)? Then try getting the network working again.

3. brienmuller

brienmuller Bit poster

local logon

I haven't been able to log on locally either. I get an authentication error no matter what account. I should have a local profile for my domain acct but cannot log into the local machine (as opposed to the domain). Local admin acct gives a username/password error.

When picking one of the two VMs at start, the one that needs converted just says somthing like "Vista Virtual Machine" but I'm not there to get the real wording. The one I just created, that works fine, shows the network name of the VM. Not sure if that's significant.

4. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

try setting your OS type to Linux in Configure -> General. Are you able to login?

5. brienmuller

brienmuller Bit poster

Changing to Linux

Nice. That setting gives me an instantaneous blue screen of death.

6. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

7. brienmuller

brienmuller Bit poster

Thanks and will try

Anna, Thanks for the article. I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm back at work. So far it's not a crisis. None of the users have complained about losing files and I've invested the time in creating a new VM.

Still, I'd like to work this out and will give it a shot tomorrow. Brien

8. brienmuller

brienmuller Bit poster

Recommended article

Anna, I'm sorry but the article isn't very clear. For example, the first step says to restore network defaults in preferences and then the second step says to stop the virtual machine.

This suggests that one needs to have the VM running to change the preferences. That's not possible since I cannot log in.

So, I tried it from the opening window when no vm was running.

Then it says to be sure that "Network Adapter" is present but only "Network Adapter 1" is present in mine. Does that mean that one should have both Network Adapter and Network Adapter 1? This may be crystal clear to you and the author, but I really have no idea what the goal is. Did the writer mean that if any Network Adapter, whether unnumbered or numbered, is present that it's sufficient or does one need both? As a new Parallels user I don't know if it's even possible to have an unnumbered network adapter.

In step 3 the terms don't match the screen and in step 4 the settings don't match the recommended possibilities. Well, step 4 does say "in Guest OS" but I can't get into the guest OS. Consider, too, the suggestion to use ipconfig. How am I supposed to get to a command prompt to do that when the vm won't let any user log in because the domain server cannot be found?

You probably don't appreciate my criticisms of the documentation and none of my vm users have complained about lost work. Let's drop it. I've deleted the VM from the iMac and I'm using the new one that I built from scratch. However, I've learned some important lessons about using a VM in a production rather than a test environment.

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

The problem is that network adapters are available only after Parallels Tools installation in Vista
    As I can understand the Vm is in AD, so try to login in safe mode with networking and install network driver from
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5808