PD4: Force reboot of suspended machine?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by sparker, Dec 9, 2008.

1. sparker

sparker Member

Mac OSX 10.5.5
    PD 4, build 3540

I have a Win2K VM that I suspended last night before leaving work. When I try to resume it now, I'm getting a "Fatal Error" dialog that says "Fatal occurred in the virtual machine <name>" and offers to send the tech details to Parallels. Unfortunately, the client site I'm working on does not allow me to connect to the network from my MacBook Pro, so the send function doesn't work, and I have to just "close" the dialog.

But when I "close" it, the only menu options I have (in the toolbar and the "Virtual Machine" menu) is "Resume". None of the other buttons (or menu choices) like Shut Down, Stop, Restart or Reset are available. I can choose "Configure", but that warns me about the possible loss of data. Is that my only choice at this time? I need to restart this machine so I can use it today.

In PD 3, you could select the "Power" button at almost any time. Is the Configure option my only way out of this mess?

Thanks for any ideas on how to perform this "forced reboot".

2. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Hello,
    could you please specify, what happens when you click 'Resume'?

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please click Report a Problem in Parallels Desktop - Help menu and post hear report ID

4. sparker

sparker Member

Clicking resume leads to the Fatal Error without about 5 seconds. It's "looping".... I finally got around the loop using the Configuration Menu.

And, clicking "Report a Problem" would have been nice, but there's no way to report it from Parallels when it happened, as I was on a client site and not allowed to connect to the net. And the error reporting function doesn't work unless you're connected (there's no "delay sending report"). So I couldn't do that.

I opened an issue manually from the support site.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

No problem in opening ticket, after you restart Parallels Desktop ir Mac OS, submit report and attach to ticket report ID

6. GregB33

GregB33 Bit poster

same problem different result

I am unable to get out of the loop using the Configuration menu. When I choose "Stop and Edit" the menu items under "Virtual Machine" become selectable (it appears that the VM is in the Stopped state). But when I tell it to "Start" it begins to resume and throws the fatal error again. Any other ideas for workarounds or ways to get the VM unstuck?

7. abro

abro Bit poster

I have a similar issue. A suspended XP VM threw a fatal error and now is stuck in a loop that makes it look like it's resuming but never does. Mine ran all night with no luck. I used the "Report a Problem" feature and the report # is 6390051.

I can't access any of the Parallels Desktop commands like "Stop" or "Restart" the VM.

8. GregB33

GregB33 Bit poster

a possible solution

I was able to get my VM working again by replacing the batteries in my wireless mouse. I speculate the mouse driver or something about the state of USB on the VM was confused. When the wireless mouse was back working the VM started up without issues.