[Parallels4]Spotlight should only indexing Windows applications

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by milko, Nov 16, 2008.

1. milko

milko Bit poster

Hi Forums,

with Parallels 3 Spotlight was indexing Windows applications. These applications had an alias placed in a Parallels subfolder which was done by Parallels 3 installation.

Now, I set up a new Parallels 4 Windows VM. But there are no Windows applications indexed by Spotlight. I did not find a Parallels subfolder with Windows application aliases in it?

How can I fix this problem? I don't want to index the whole windows VM like it is provides by the configuration menu.
    Why does Parallels 4 not place automatically Windows app aliases that they can be indexed by Spotlight?

Thanks for answers.

Edit: I check the contents of the *.pvm-File. There is a folder "Windows Applications". This folder should be indexed by Spotlight but it was not indexed yet. Is it a problem with such containers like used with iPhoto or *.pvm?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. milko

milko Bit poster

Does anybody have an idea?

3. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,
    Spotlight does not look in .pvm bundles. You could try to workaround this by creating a directory with symlinks to the needed applications in the bundle and index them.

4. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Tip:

Just place the alias of Windows Applications folder to the Application folder of your Mac and you will access all applications Mac and Windows from one place. Also, you can drag-drop Windows Applications folder to the Dock and you will have a special place for your guest applications.

Alexander

5. milko

milko Bit poster

thanks for the hint!

6. bmwmcrider

bmwmcrider Member

Windows Application Folder - what is it and where is it found?

Thanks,

Mike

7. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

By default /Documents/Parallels/<your VM name>.pvm -- Ctrl-click it, choose Show package contents -- there will be Windows Applications folder

8. bmwmcrider

bmwmcrider Member

estrelnikov - thanks for the info; alexg - thanks for the tip. Works great. Still learning all the nuances of Parallels.

Mike