Coherence Mode Not Available

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by icarus1701, Dec 6, 2008.

1. icarus1701

icarus1701 Bit poster

Is anyone having problems with Coherence not working on the latest build (3540)?

I've tried modifying the Coherence settings, but after the latest upgrade, the screen resize in Window mode doesn't work and Coherence is not available. The Coherence button is grayed out as is the menu item. I've tried searching the forum, but haven't seen anything else about this.

In the Configure screen, I've unchecked all the Coherence boxes and the same in the Shared Applications. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

I've tried reinstalling Parrallels tools and rebooting XP and OSX twice.

2. AlexK

AlexK Bit poster

I know this is no help, but I have the same exact problem You're not alone. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Tools, but that made no difference. I'm running on a new 13" Aluminum MacBook hooked up to a new Apple 24" display.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I suppose Parallels Coherence service is either failed to start or disabled,
    Check for Parallels Coherence service in services.msc
    If it is failing to start,
    probably virus scan, check again, Windows repair

4. icarus1701

icarus1701 Bit poster

Success! The coherence service was showing as started in services.msc (even though it wasn't functioning). I restarted the service and still no luck. Decided at that point to use XP's restore function to a date last week. Not sure if the service restart or the restore was the actual fix. Probably something corrupted in XP (I'd guess), but coherence is working again as so is the screen resize.

5. parallelsmba

parallelsmba Member

I have this same problem with a Macbook Air, however, coherence is an option but nothing happens when you switch to it. Further, when I check services, it claims to be started.

6. John@Parallels

Check for OS type selected in Configure - General - it should be Windows - Windows XP

7. parallelsmba

parallelsmba Member

It is set to Windows/Widows XP

8. John@Parallels

Stop Virtual Machine
    Shut down, not restart mac OS, and check again

9. trancehed

trancehed Bit poster

Having the same problem. Very annoying. None of the suggestions here helped.

10. parallelsmba

parallelsmba Member

Yes, it is set to Windows/Windows XP

11. parallelsmba

parallelsmba Member

Agreed,

12. John@Parallels

Could you please check in device manager that Video device is functioning?

13. trancehed

trancehed Bit poster

Doesn't seem to be. Device manager shows it broken.. when I try and update Intel 82815 processor to AGP controller.. windows update can't find it. When I DL it from Intel's website.. when I try and install it I get an error.

14. parallelsmba

parallelsmba Member

I have the same error

15. John@Parallels

16. trancehed

trancehed Bit poster

That does not sound like my issue at all.

This is retarded. If it worked in vers. 3 and it's not working with vers. 4 and lots of people are having the problem.. than I think it's safe to say it's a bug.

I've already reverted back to vers. 3 as I need Parallels for work. As soon as you guys actually figure out what the problem is and fix it, then I will return to vers. 4.

17. trancehed

trancehed Bit poster

That does not sound like my issue at all. The device manager is showing. Just the video driver isn't working or isn't there.

This is retarded. It worked in 3, it doesn't work in 4. Lots of people are having the problem. Sounds like a bug to me. I have already rolled back to 3 because I need this damn thing for work. Once you guys find the problem and actually fix it then I will reinstall 4.

18. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

I failed to get coherence to work. Could not get the Coherence service to start despite trying everything else (though admittedly I didn't try the device manager thing) got fed up with the other niggles in V4, ended up back on V3 for the THIRD time!!

Coherence works in V3, I don't keep getting messages about ntkrnlpa.exe if I make the mistake of changing the screen resolution, I don't keep seeing the found new hardware wizard telling me to install software drivers for a 'standard PC', hal.dll doesn't keep needing to be installed, the mouse integration works - even after I change the video memory allocation, the Guest resolution adjusts to fit the window when I resize it with the mouse and finally, the toolbar can be positioned where I want it.

19. John@Parallels

As I can see from message, upgrade is not successful
    Probably you can create ticket in support we can investigate situation more closer?

20. mkstevo

mkstevo Member

Unfortunately I have gone back to using V3 so can't really offer much in the way of information to the Parallels team, other than it didn't work. I don't really feel inclined to re-install V4 for the fourth time, knowing that it isn't going to work to my satisfaction so I won't be able to investigate this with Parallels.

A pity that I can't get it to work very well, as despite all the adverse experiences that other users have suffered from with previous versions and their upgrades, I have never had a problem. I have had a copy of Parallels since the late betas of V1, right through to the last version of V3, along with all the various upgrades in between, and all have worked extremely well, until now.

I suppose my luck had to run out sooner or later...