Arrggg--what am I missing --- problem after resizing VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dhjdhj, Dec 3, 2008.

1. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

So I have followed all the instructions pieced together from various forum entries and I used gparted booted from an iso to resize my drives. Everything looks fine in gparted...(works really nice, very similar to the old Partition Magic that I used to use on real machines).

However, when I reboot back into Windows XP, I am not seeing the increased disk size --- my C drive shows it is a 9Gb disk even though GParted indicates that should now be a 25Gb disk.

I tried the usual chkdsk stuff but that didn't make any difference.

What else is there to do?

2. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Anyone got any answers for this?

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

If this are Virtual HDDs, first you increase the size of the disk using Parallels Image Tool, which creates free/unallocated space, then you use a tool like GParted to merge that space with your NTFS volume.

Does the disk management utility in XP show the extra space as free or it doesn't show it at all?

4. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Yes, I did increase the size with Parallels, and I did use Gparted and if I run Gparted now, it still shows that I have a nice huge chunk of diskspace available. However, inside windows, I'm not seeing any increased space. Chkdsk with either /f or /r made no difference either. The disk manager inside Windows does not indicate that there is any extra space, free or otherwise.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Increase the size with the Parallels Image Tool, check in Windows Disk Management if the free space shows up and only after that should you use GParted. If the free space doesn't show up in disk management it's because Parallels, for some reason, isn't able to increase the Virtual HD (this isn't a Boot Camp partition right?) space, maybe because of a problem with permissions, or because you haven't merged snapshots before increasing the size.

6. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Hmmm, I have several snapshots --- I was not aware did I needed to merge them --- could this be the issue? I simply did the increase with Parallels Image and went directly to Gparted.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as "merging" for snapshots....should I just delete the snapshots?

Thanks for these very useful answers by the way. I appreciate it.

--->because you haven't merged snapshots before increasing the size

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Use Parallels Image Tool to delete or merge the snapshots into the image (if you merge, the changes in the snapshots become permanent in the disk image).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  8. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

After getting rid of all snapshots, I can run the disk manager (from within administrative tools) and it displays nice large 25Gb partitions for C: and E: However, in the information portion above the graphic view of the disk, it continues to claim that there is only 9Gb of space available for the C drive

A chkdsk /f had no impact.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

chkdsk is not supposed to have any impact on this. Please post a screenshot of the disk manager.

10. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Screenshot

OK --- attached is a screenshot --- as you can see, the capacity of the C drive (9.58) doesn't match the partition size shown at the bottom (24.48). That 9.58 GB value is what I see if I open the regular "My Computer" view as well.

D

Attached Files:

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It is Gparted bug, I met such situation, when after Gparted partition size was reported incorrectly
    Unfortunately for now solution is to move data to new VM, or contact gparted community for solution, may be guys does now something

12. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Thanks, John --- can you point me at the appropriate reference for how to proceed under this circumstance?

13. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Well, let us try
    1. backup VM
    2. End hew HDD to Virtual machine
    3. Use g4l or Symantec ghost, or any other tool for low level disk copy to write information in raw disk mode from old hdd to new one
    Iso for g4l may be downloaded here http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

14. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I don't know why...but before I tried creating a new HD, and after reading about the "known bug" in gparted, I went to the gparted website and noted there was a new version. Just for grins, I downloaded it and had the following experience:

1) Upon startup, it showed that my C drive was at 24Gb (as seen by diskmanager partition view in Windows, but not by "My Computer", which was still showing the 9 Gb
    2) I decided to try shrinking the drive by the tiniest amount possible (1 block, I think) just to see what would happen. GParted informed me there was nothing to do, it was already at the needed size!
    3) Then I decided to try shrinking the drive to about 14Gb and again GParted just told me it was already at that needed size
    4) So then I tried to shrink it to the smallest possible size (about 8Gb, which was the amount actually used by the C drive at that time). GParted reported an error and reset the partition size to 14Gb
    5) I rebooted Windows which then did an automatic chkdsk and rebooted itself again at which point my C drive indicated there was actually now 14Gb (6Gb available, very encouraging)
    6) A glutton for punishment, I rebooted into Gparted again and tried to resize back up to the 24Gb. It seemed to work, I rebooted back into Windows, which did chkdsk again and rebooted and then "My Computer" reports it now has 24Gb available.

So it seems that the very latest gparted (gparted-live-0.3.19-13) was actually able to repair whatever got screwed up previously --- I now have 24Gb available as I wanted.

Hope this helps others who have run into the same problem.

15. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Just also wanted to let interested people know that I tried using Parallel Image Tool followed by GParted on a different Windows VM on a different Macintosh and the process worked like a charm, first time....so clearly whatever was going on with earlier versions of GParted is really fixed now.

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Hooray for Open Source's quick bug fixing! ;)