PD 4.0.3540 outstanding issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HZC, Dec 10, 2008.

1. HZC

HZC Member

These are the issues that I'm still having that I hope are addressed in the next build release

1. After minimizing applications, using command-tab does not work to un-minimize and bring the application back to the foreground. Since this is actually more in-line with Mac behavior, I would not be surprised if it were a featured. However, this behavior for Mac applications is when the close button is used to actually close a window but keep the application running in memory; Windows does not really have this feature. My current solution is to use command-tab to select the main Parallels application, then use alt-tab to select the application in Windows.

2. If I put my computer to sleep with Parallels running and then later wake it back up, Windows goes on a hard drive rampage. I don't know what it's doing, but there is so much disk activity that it slows the entire computer, both Mac and Windows to a screeching halt. The only solution is to shut down Windows, which takes about 10 minutes, including the time to switch to single window mode to end task and a bunch of hung up processes.

3. Using suspend instead is generally better but sometimes results in "incorrect checksum, cannot resume the VM, must reboot" type of message. If it does come out of suspended animation, some process might be locked up; and the only way to get the "start" button to work work again from the dock is to first select Start Menu from the Application menu and select something from the start menu. Then, clicking the PD icon in the dock will function again as a "start" button.

4. Shadows or some kind of remnants show up on the Desktop when Outlook is minimized; they remain even after Outlook is no longer minimized. The only way to get rid of them is to close Outlook.

5. PD takes forever and a day to suspend and quit. Oye vey!

BUT, PD4 is usable in my day-to-day work. I just have to follow certain rules, like shutting down Windows completely or take a chance with suspend. I once used pause and then when I tried to shut down OS X, Parallels froze. Anyway, you guys are doing a good job, but please bring on those hot fixes until PD4 has stabilized more.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please see answers and questions inline:

1. After minimizing applications, using command-tab does not work to un-minimize and bring the application back to the foreground. Since this is actually more in-line with Mac behavior, I would not be surprised if it were a featured. However, this behavior for Mac applications is when the close button is used to actually close a window but keep the application running in memory; Windows does not really have this feature. My current solution is to use command-tab to select the main Parallels application, then use alt-tab to select the application in Windows.

Is it in Coherence or in Window mode, if it is in Coherence, please check mapping for Parallels DEsktop - Prefernces -Keyboard

2. If I put my computer to sleep with Parallels running and then later wake it back up, Windows goes on a hard drive rampage. I don't know what it's doing, but there is so much disk activity that it slows the entire computer, both Mac and Windows to a screeching halt. The only solution is to shut down Windows, which takes about 10 minutes, including the time to switch to single window mode to end task and a bunch of hung up processes.

It is Mac OS side, which restore swapped memory for Parallels Application

3. Using suspend instead is generally better but sometimes results in "incorrect checksum, cannot resume the VM, must reboot" type of message. If it does come out of suspended animation, some process might be locked up; and the only way to get the "start" button to work work again from the dock is to first select Start Menu from the Application menu and select something from the start menu. Then, clicking the PD icon in the dock will function again as a "start" button.

We are investigating this case

4. Shadows or some kind of remnants show up on the Desktop when Outlook is minimized; they remain even after Outlook is no longer minimized. The only way to get rid of them is to close Outlook.

Please, screenshot, not sure what do you mean

Depends on memory allocated to VM, free disk space, and Applications running on Mac OS

3. HZC

HZC Member

Please see answers and questions inline:

Is it in Coherence or in Window mode, if it is in Coherence, please check mapping for Parallels DEsktop - Prefernces -Keyboard

Yes it is in coherence mode. I think the key mappings are correct; option-tab will bring up all the Mac and Windows applications but selecting a Windows app bring Parallels in focus but does not bring the select app to the foreground. For example, I open IE then minimize it. Now I select some open Mac app with option-tab and then select IE via option-tab. Parallels is now the app showing in the menu bar, but IE doesn't come to the foreground. I now have to use ctrl-tab in Windows to select the apps.

It is Mac OS side, which restore swapped memory for Parallels Application.

But I did not quit Parallels or even pause it, I just put the entire computer on standby. Why would Mac OS X want to swap the memory. Would reducing my VM memory possibly avoid the swap from taking place?

We are investigating this case

Please, screenshot, not sure what do you mean

I will do a screenshot the next time I see it.

Depends on memory allocated to VM, free disk space, and Applications running on Mac OS

Well, this I can live with :)

4. John@Parallels

5. HZC

HZC Member

What I meant is that I did not pause my VM nor suspend it. I simply put Mac OS X itself to sleep while my VM was still running. Then, after awaking OS X, there is a lot of disk activity in the Windows VM. It does appear to be a memory swapping out issue, but I'm not sure why this would happen in this circumstance.

6. John@Parallels

Well , in this case it is sleep mode, and Windows just restore data into memory